Interesting Colt

kyle1682

Inactive
I have recently purchased a colt 45 and I am looking to find some info on it. It is a duo tone finish, on the left side it has Colts mfg. engraved along with some dates,Apr20 1897,Sep9 1902,Dec19 1905,Feb14 1911,and Aug19 1913. On the other side it has a star with a banner under it, there is something written in the banner but I dont have a magnafying glass to see it. There are also the words EXERCITO BRASILEIRO and under those words it has 1937 which I assumed it was the model number. The serial number is B205XX. There is also another number on the barrel it is 4589. If any one can help me on some info it would be appreciated.

more info

Double Action, semi auto, looks like it may be kinda old but not too sure. Ive just recently purchased this one.

Sounds like a Colt slide with added Brazilian markings on a local frame. At least I don't know of any Colt's with a "B" serial number prefix.

I think the "double action" part is wrong on kyle's part.

My two cents is, it's not the double action that's the mistake, it's the semi auto part.

Sounds like a Colt DA revo to me.

====
EDIT: Ignore me, I'm smoking something.

Last edited:
The gun is not a revolver, it is essentially a Colt Government Model, vintage 1938, M1911A1 type. The Colt Brazilian contract pistol slides have the patent dates all on one line (unlike the U.S. GI guns) and the words "CAL .45 AUTOMATIC" underneath, all on the left side. The right side has the Brazilian seal and the words "EXERCITO BRASILEIRO" (Brazilian Army in Portuguese), and the Brazililan issue number preceded by "No." The date, 1937, is below that.

The original frame would have been a Colt commercial frame with a "C" preceding the serial number, but frames were made in Brazil also.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Brazilian barrels were numbered. Argentine barrels were, however, so the barrel may be from an Argentine contract or Argentine-made pistol. I suspect the gun is a made-up gun, having a Brazilian surplus slide and a frame of unknown origin. A neat gun in a way - not only a mixmaster, but an international mixmaster. If you are one of those guys who talk to their guns, you might need a couple of interpreters.

Jim

Back