Interesting bolt action jam....

mehavey

`Went out to the range today to shoot-then-try my new steam-cleaner method on my Kentucky 32 -- the one BP weapon [of many] I own that I simply cannot seem to get clean using conventional BP methods....

-- BREAK BREAK -- On to the subject...

Next to me was a Model-700 shooter whose bolt would suddenly not close the last 1/4" ... this after 16 uneventful rounds.

It was a hard stop... nothing interference or draggy about it.
It was STOP.

The only thing that would be able to do that is something hard-stopping the lugs from fully rotating. So flashlight/dental pick out and yea verily, something that looks like screw threads is sticking up in the lug channel at dead 6-o'clock.

Had he worked on the gun ?
No.

Had he had any lead-in trouble/dragging ?
No.

So we backed off the forward action screw anyway in the expectation that somehow it being too long had finally interfered...
Nope.

Pull the action and look up the forward screw hole... Blind hole/dead end... with what looks like the dimple of where the drill head stopped.

Hmmm.... out comes the punch set.

...and out pops a spent large rifle primer that had probably been bouncing around in the lug channel for a looooog time ... maybe years ... until it finally dropped into the action screw hole juuuuuust right to lock everything up tight.

Merry Christmas....

Interesting.

Most of the strange bolt action jams I've seen or had relayed to me have involved blown primers. Some people need to take a closer look at the word "Maximum" in powder charge tables more often.

Back