Interarms Mark X bolt

1972RedNeck

Looking at an interarms mark x in 375 H&H. At some point the bolt was separated from the rifle and lost.

Where could I find a bolt for it? Are there other makes/models of bolts that could be made to work?

There are other bolts that are compatible, but probably need to be from the magnum action. Remington 798, FN Mauser in the same caliber, Zastava Z98 (heck they made both the Interams and the Remington versions).

There are other bolts that are compatible, but probably need to be from the magnum action.

There MAY BE other bolts that are compatible, but just because it is a bolt from a Mauser pattern gun of the same action length, doesn't mean it will work, or that it can be made to work.

Even if you find the right bolt, from the original maker in the right caliber (bolt face size) it will STILL need to be headspaced by a competent gunsmith. You might get lucky with a replacement bolt being within tolerances, or you might wind up needing to have the barrel pulled and recut.

Good Luck with your search.

If you’re just looking, stop and move on. Not worth the hassle or expense, by the time you’re through you could have bought a complete gun for less. There are some people who think it is somehow safer to store a bolt action with the bolt removed. Which works great till you die and your survivors don’t know the bolt is in the bottom of your toolbox or you go Joe Biden and just can’t remember where you put it when they’re selling your stuff on your way to the nursing home.

IIRC, the Zastafa Mauser is the same length where the rifle is 30-06 or .375 H&H. basically the magazine is lengthened and some metal remove fore and aft on the action. Some people don't like this bur even the famous H&H convert Mauser actions this way when proper magnum length actions are not available. I had one of the early Mark X .375 H&Hs and while I liked the rifle, the lip of the receiver that is on the bottom right behind the locking lug slot had a rough edge like the teeth of a great white shark. They put seriously deep gouges in the brass rendering the brass unsuitable for reloading. The fix was remove the barrel and smooth that rough spot out. I tried three gunsmiths and none of them would try doing the job. I can't say this is a problem with all Mark X .375s but is something to check out.
Paul B.

There are some people who think it is somehow safer to store a bolt action with the bolt removed.

It is "safer" if no one knows where the bolt is stored, but then again, so what?? From a safety perspective, guns don't, and can't get any "safer" than unloaded.

Some people take the bolts out, (or other parts) not for just safety, but as an added security measure.

Without the bolt (or other vital and obvious part(s) ) you can't use the gun. A gun with obvious parts missing is of little value, and even a dope head knows that much, and won't bother taking it, in favor of things worth more money.

No, its not a fool proof solution, as there are more than enough fools to go around, but generally speaking, anyone stealing a gun, is doing so in order to use it, (in other crimes) or to sell it, and the people buying stolen guns, either for their own use of further resale, won't give squat for something that doesn't work and can't be easily fixed.

It may also be done for legal reasons.

deterrent

I would not buy a rifle missing a bolt. I'm not sure that removing a bolt will serve as a theft deterrent. Best bet is to lock the dang thing in the safe. Of course, not all folks have that option.

Had a dear friend here who, once he reached his '90's, was a bit off kilter and always looking for his shotgun. Son and grandson removed the guns from the house on the sly. I could imagine someone rendering a bolt rifle safe by removing the bolt and the item lost in the shuffle over the course of the years.

There are pics of WWII Mausers lined up in a ditch in piles with the bolts removed Normandy, bocage, hedgerow country I think, maybe in one of my paratrooper books.

1972RedNeck said:
Where could I find a bolt for it? Are there other makes/models of bolts that could be made to work?

It's a horrible idea to buy a rifle without a bolt. I'm not saying you did, but just putting it out there. Often times finding one is more cost that the rifle is worth.

First thing I'd do is take it to a gunsmith and talk with them. Find out what it'll take to make the rifle shootable again. You'd be surprised how many of them have spare parts. They might have what you'll need tucked away.

I'm pretty sure most commercial bolts from a large ring Mauser 98 will work, but it'll have to be fitted. By fitting, I mean headspace reset, and possibly bolt face and extractor work unless you find a magnum bolt face bolt body. You may not find a complete bolt, and have to find all the parts to complete it as well.

If the gunsmith or smiths don't have what you need, they'll more than likely know how to find it or point you in the right direction. Luckily your missing bolt is from one of the most highly produced bolt action recievers ever. So with a little effort you'll probably find what you need.

Back