Interarms 458 Alaskan stock replacement

Canvasbacker

Inactive
New to the Firing Line and had a question after researching this for a while on here. I have acquired an Interarms Alaskan in 458 win mag. I got a really good deal on it but the stock has seen better days. I'm assuming someone painted it. black and tried "roughing" it up for some reason. The gun originally should have come with a wood stock but this one feels like synthetic. Also there are no iron sights. It has two holes tapped for the rear sight. It nothing for the front sight. No sight and no drilled and tapped holes. I have tried to reasearch this gun and found that a Mauser 98 stock will fit it. I am guessing that I will have to dig out the stock to accept the barrel size? Just had a few questions and from what I have read so far you guys are very knowledgeable

stock cracks ? For cartridges of 375 H&H or higher power stocks should have two cross bolts !!! The best would be to install cross bolts and glass bed the action .Many ,as we were taught in gunsmith school , glass bed the receiver + 2" of barrel ,leaving the rest of the barrel free floating ! :)

The Interarms Mausers were made in Serbia (formerly part of Yugoslavia). The 375s and 458s use a larger diameter barrel, so it's likely that an aftermarket stock will have to have the barrel channel enlarged.

Most of the rifles came with express sights, but they were also sold as barreled actions without sights. The wood stocked heavy magnum rifles used a cross bolt as the recoil lug and also had an auxiliary lug screwed to the barrel.

I'd advise a strong synthetic or laminate stock. I'd definitely use cross bolts on a wood stock, but probably not on a synthetic or laminate.

Back