Instant Check for FFLs?

Matt VDW

After going through the paper chase of an interstate gun purchase a couple of times this year, I have to say that the system is needlessly complex. (And before I go any further, I'd like to make it clear that it wouldn't break my heart if the whole GCA '68 mess went away. I don't see that happening, though, so I'm proposing an improvement to the current system).

If the BATF has a database of all the federally licensed dealers in the country, why can't they create an "instant check" service so dealers won't have to mail official copies of their FFLs back and forth whenever they want to do business? If I were a dealer or distributor trying to verify the FFL of the receiving party of an interstate sale, I'd rather get an instant, up-to-date answer straight from the BATF rather than relying upon a signed photocopy sent through the mail.

What do you think? It makes sense, so I know the current regime in Washington wouldn't like it, but perhaps we'll have a more reasonable President and Congress after 2000.

This story about an illegal gun dealer would lend credance to your argument for an FFL tracking/instant check.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/acovthu.htm

I don't know that I would be opposed to this sort of measure. I'm sure others on TFL will have some interesting arguments against this idea.

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

Would an instant check system be better? Yes, anything would be better. It would still be unconsitutional and unnecessary. Like my grampa used to say, "you can't polish a turd, son".

As an interesting anecdote concerning interstate transfers, I bought a handgun for my dad from a friend of mine here in Alaska. I had another friend with an FFL contact my dad's FFL and ship the weapon. Weeks went by, no gun. My dad's dealer tracked it to U.S. Customs in Chicago, who was holding it because, "the gun was shipped with the proper paperwork for importing from a foreign country". After the dealer gave Customs a remedial course in geography and U.S. history, he got the gun.

The only person more inept than a bureaucrat is another bureaucrat.

------------------
"...the probability of the people in power being individuals who would dislike the possession and exercise of power is on a level with the probability that an extremely tender-hearted person would get the job of whipping-master in a slave plantation."
Prof. Frank H. Knight

Boy, this is a poser! I flip-flopped all over the place on this.

To me, a non-FFL holder, it comes down to this: It IS convenient to have a database,
but I would put up with the inconvenience of mailing the form as compared to convenience.
ANYTHING to slow the progress of the government, in it's present state of mind.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

My thinking is that since the government already has a database of FFL holders, and since we're already compelled to conduct interstate deals through an FFL, then we might as well use the database that already exists to do it efficiently. I don't think that the data gathered on users of this system would be useful to would-be gun grabbers, since it wouldn't include who was buying what. And as a bonus, it might help catch some of the criminals out there using fake FFLs.

Back