Installing Mag Base Pads

• Thread starter Thread starter faiello5
  • Start date Start date
F

faiello5

Alright, I tried the "epoxy method" of attaching the base pads to my mags and it didnt' work very well. Can someone please post the process for drilling/tapping the base plates in order to attach the base pads, including drill and tap sizes. By the way, the base pads are Chip McCormick. Thanks.

Regards,
Frank

Back in my IPSC daze, I just used two layers of 1/8" leather, Elmer's glue, and a razor blade for trimming. Some of those pads are still in place, after 20 years.

:), Art

I made a bunch of leather pads and attached them with contact cement. Still work many years later.

------------------
You have to be there when it's all over. Otherwise you can't say "I told you so."

Better days to be,

Ed

faiello5, use a #43 drill bit and 4-40 self tapping screws. The c-to-c distance will be determined by the pads you use. For instance Brown's are .550". Just get the base level in a padded vise and use the pad for a "jig". I wouldn't drill through it but you can use it to align the drill bit to where you want the holes. George

If you buy carpet tape, I can assure you that those pads will be in place for years, at least mine still are. You need pads that have a flush bottom with lots of surface area for the double-sided tape to grip. Carpet tape is strong stuff, and it'll do the job.

Back