Installing choke system in old bolt shotgun barrel

Depends on how thick the barrel wall is. I don't know the number, but there is a certain minimal wall thickness that is needed to tap.

Call Briley in Houston and give the name and model of the gun. If their regular chokes won't work, their thin-walls will; however, as mentioned, it will cost more than the value of the gun.

Why? Because maybe it has some sentimental value and this can make it more usable to the OP.
I understand that well, FITASC, but I asked the OP for his reasons. Maybe it's a project, maybe it's "just because". Heavens knows I've spent way too much money myself just to see how stuff works.

Well, the reason I ask is because I have an old Mossberg 20ga bolt gun and if I could thread that barrel I could use it with a scope and possibly even hunt with it. A Savage rifled barrel 20ga is just over $600 so if it is $200, thats cheaper than buying a whole gun. I've called Briley's and they say they can't do it but I know what a machine shop is and I know it can be done and that they just may not want to do it in an effort to sell me $1000 worth of stuff. I used to work directly next door to Briley's at a Dresser Rand machine shop.

Well, the reason I ask is because I have an old Mossberg 20ga bolt gun and if I could thread that barrel I could use it with a scope and possibly even hunt with it.

Please 'splain to me why you want to add a choke then a scope to hunt with it. They are "opposite" in purpose.

Doyle, I'd like to shoot Sabot slugs with it.

Sabot slugs require no choke at all - in fact, they need a rifled barrel. You might be thinking of "foster" slugs. In that case, why not just cut off the muzzle and leave it cylinder bore? I.E. turn it into a dedicated slug gun.

"...they need a rifled barrel..." And other types don't need anything but a cylinder choke. As in no choke.
"...know it can be done..." It's not about that. It's about the thickness of the barrel wall.
You're going to have D&T anyway, I'd be thinking Ghost ring and a blade vs a scope. Those come from Williams. Basically a large ring peep. Slugs are mostly a 100 yard thing.

Unless you're old like me and your eyes suck at distance.

OP, on ShotgunWorld.com is a gunsmith named Mike Orlen who does choke installations all the time. His info can be found there. CALL, he rarely answers emails, and ask him. Last time I checked, for a regular barrel, he was about $55 plus the cost of the choke tube.(and shipping)

Since you mentioned shooting slugs and mounting a scope on that shotgun, have you tried mounting the scope and shooting slugs with it as-is? You might be surprised at the results, or maybe not. It may be worth a try but in the end it's your shotgun. Good luck!

I can't help but wonder if the original poster "thinks" he needs to use a rifled choke in order to shoot sabot slugs. Sadly, there are many who don't realize that the SOLE purpose of a rifled choke is to separate a shotgun owner from his money.

Back