Install coil hand spring?

I've got an old "beater" brass frame 1851 Navy by Pietta To most it's junk but I have a lot of fun with it. I've slicked it up, changed springs that sort of thing. I use it a lot to practice drawing and spinning and I dry fire it a lot. I take the nipples out when I use it this way. I go through hand and springs once in a while and was wondering if anyone out there has installed their own coil hand spring? My cartridge revolvers have coil hand springs and it seems like they just drill a hole to the left of the hammer above and to the right of the backstrap screw hole. I spose you'd have to be a little more precise than that. It sure would be better than those flat breakable springs. Has anyone attempted this project? I guess you could make the argument that the gun isn't worth it but I wouldn't want to drill away on a more expensive revolver. I like this revolver I've sawed the barrel down and made it my "belly gun". It gets more use than my other cartridge revolvers sometimes and I shoot wax in all of them.If any one has experience with this, got any tips?

Back