Insides of a S&W Bodyguard?

BluRidgDav

My LGS is having a Christmas Sale, so, I put a Bodyguard on lay-away. Just in case my wife needs to get me something at the last minute? (Ho-Ho-Ho)

Then I went onto the Wolff website to order a set J-frame springs, so, that I can fine-tune it as necessary, like all of my other S&W revolvers. When what to my wondering eyes did appear, but, the following disclaimer:

"Note: Springs will not fit and function in Bodyguard J Frame with polymer frame."

So, I went back to the LGS to visit my Bodyguard, and I noticed that the side-plate & integral CT laser module, are not held together with normal screws. But rather, hex-heads and pins of some sort?
I also noticed that the grips are held on by a roll-pin at the very bottom, instead of a screw in the middle. Not sure if these changes are good or bad, maybe just different?

But, has anyone taken their Bodyguard apart and can describe what they found? Even better, does anyone have photos of the inside workings, that they could post?

Are any after-market springs compatible with the Bodyguard?

Are after-market grips (like Hogue) or other S&W J-frame grips compatible with the Bodyguard?

Not ready to cancel the purchase, yet, because I like some of the Bodyguard's other features. But, I would like to know what I'm getting into?

Thanx, Dave.

Last edited:
Is your J-frame for CCW?

If so, then leave all of the springs as they are. Massad Ayoob teaches that altered handguns can be problem in court.

ota, Thanx for the legal advice. Are you an attorney?

With all due respect to Massad, anytime that you discharge a weapon in the direction of another human being, you will have a "problem in court". If not criminal, then at least civil. In some circumstances and jurisdictions, merely displaying or pointing a gun to/at someone can get you into legal jeopardy. The fact that your handgun had a 16# or an 8# hammer/trigger return spring(s), will be way down your list of concerns. As a retired LEO, I just want to make it into the courtroom.

As the old saying goes, 'Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six.' Which is probably why so many people decide to carry a firearm for protection.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Revolver forum.

Thanx, Dave.

If I remember correctly nothing on the BG is interchangeable with a J frame including grips. The only thing they have in common is size. It is also the only S&W that the cylinder rotates clockwise like a Colt.

You would do much better with a J frame IMO...

I agree with Mc 1911 about just getting a regular J frame.
The "hammerless" are very practical.

This Smith Bodyguard is a one-off design, immediately
precluding normal maintenance.

Or look at a Ruger LCR. Double action considered
among the best in "J" frame sized guns.

I predict the laser will give nothing but trouble.

And the cylinder turns the wrong way!!!!!!

Thanx Guys!

I actually like that the Bodyguard's cylinder rotates the "other way" (clockwise). When firing rapid double-action while wearing gloves, I have had glove material of my support-hand thumb get caught between a counter-clockwise rotating (descending) flute and the frame, causing a temporary stoppage. (One of the reasons that I prefer revolvers with unfluted cylinders.) I also have some Colt revolvers, but, they are all single-actions. Besides the Bodyguard, I have been eyeing the new Colt Cobra . . . . with its six-shot cylinder that rotates clockwise, and an unusually large trigger-guard that looks like it was made specifically for gloves. (Here in Alaska, that's a good thing!) The Cobra isn't hammerless, and it costs quite a bit more $$$ . . . . . decisions, decisions?

For all those other shooters out there, who are also considering a S&W Bodyguard .38, I found the following disassembly guide particularly informative:

http://apexgunsmithing.com/detail-strip-guide-sw-bodyguard-38-revolver/

Thanx, Dave.

Back