Inputs on new 308

USAF Ret

I am selling by heavy barrel bench shooter and want to get something a bit more utilitarian. I am on the fence on getting a bolt action vs. an AR-10. Looking to spend $500-$600. I catch sales every now and again with the AR-10 at that price from PSA or ABC. If a bolt action, looking for something that is not a brick, decent stock (which probably cuts out the Tupperware rifles) and preferably a threaded barrel (this one is hard because that is usually associated with another heavy barrel). Maybe a medium barrel? Fluted? Inputs appreciated.

You can get a heavy barrel with threaded muzzle, just get the barrel shorter, like 18-20”. That will reduce weight and make it more balanced.
Your budget is the biggest limiting factor imho. $500-$600 will get you a decent entry level rifle like a Savage, Ruger, or Remington.

Buy once, cry once... save a little more and get something like the Tikka T3X Lite Compact for around $675. The action and trigger are very very good on the Tikka and accuracy is superb. Hear good things about Bergara too but don’t know much about them.

Ruger Predator. And I'd seriously consider the 6.5 instead of 308. I currently have one in 223 and 308. I've had the 6.5 version in the past. All of them are 1/2 MOA shooters, all have threaded barrels, all are under 7 lbs. Don't worry about the tupperware stock. Rugers unique bedding system using steel "V" blocks eliminates the need for a stiff stock. I'd get the version that takes 3, 5, and 10 round AI style magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26974.html

Mags

http://shopruger.com/AI-Style-Precision-Rifle-308-Win-5-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90561/
http://shopruger.com/AI-Style-Precision-Rifle-308-Win-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90563/

A few weeks ago I watched my nieces husband shoot a 4" group at 600 yards with one of these in 6.5 CM with a $200 scope and $13/box factory loads.

Brownell's still has some Howa barreled actions listed that are reasonable. Take a look and see if you like any of them. Search "Howa" when you get there. If you find a pleasing one, start fingering out what stock you want.

I know a quality free floated AR-10 with a good barrel (one Badger and one Krieger) can shoot very well. Remarkably well. These are 20 in heavy barrels,and the rifle is heavy.

I have experience with a DPMS LR308L . Factory weight 7.9 lbs .Free floated flat top. I can't give you a " X.XXX MOA" claim. Good enough that I'm happy.With decent ammo and me doing my part,under 1.5 MOA.

With respect,your budget is about right for the barrel on the Armalite,and at the time of purchase,the DPMS was about twice your budget.

I'm not sure what sort of AR-10 type rifle you would get for $500 to $600.

I've read good things here at TFL about some of the lower cost Ruger rifles.There is an American,a Predator...maybe some others.

The Howa bbl'd action might be a way to get started,and you'd build what you want,but there is more $ to spend after you get the bbl'd action.

Tikkas have a pretty good rep. I've never owned a Howa or a Tikka,but IMO,they are options.

There is a member here who has expressed that he is real impressed with his bargain priced Ruger,...I know he can shoot and he knows a good rifle,and I respect what he says.. I'd suggest looking that direction.

The new stocks from Savage have a nice adjustability to them and if you get one with the accustock tech, it's bedded on an aluminum insert that goes all teh way to the front of the foregrip, so they don't bend much. I like my shorter barrel Savage 110 Tactical. Light enough I could take hunting, but still weighty enough to not feel much. Also has a threaded barrel. Bbl is fluted, but it is still pretty stout. The shorter one, like I have, does still swing nicely, though. Also takes AI mags, if you're okay with box magazines. How thick was your bench shooter barrel? If you know about the 110FCP from Savage, the newer 110 Tactical models are a much thinner barrel.

Last edited:
"...$500-600 generally equals..." Used hunting rifle. Wait until after your local deer season for that. Highly possible to find a scoped(trading goods if you don't like/want it), higher end, rifle in your local shop then.
"...for a SHTF gun..." There'd probably be more, um, 'unclaimed' 5.56/.223 ammo around than .308/7.62NATO. .308/7.62NATO is primarily only used in MG's now. That may or may not be an issue, but when nothing is being made, shipped or sold, anywhere, by anyone, you may need to improvise. Means there's no place from which to reallocate resources. Box mags or not won't matter either. There won't be any.

The new stocks from Savage have a nice adjustability to them and if you get one with the accustock tech, it's bedded on an aluminum insert that goes all teh way to the front of the foregrip, so they don't bend much. I like my shorter barrel Savage 110 Tactical. Light enough I could take hunting, but still weighty enough to not feel much. Also has a threaded barrel. Bbl is fluted, but it is still pretty stout. The shorter one, like I have, does still swing nicely, though. Also takes AI mags, if you're okay with box magazines. How thick was your bench shooter barrel? If you know about the 110FCP from Savage, the newer 110 Tactical models are a much thinner barrel.
It was the HOWA heavy barred. Thing was a tank. I have been looking at the 110 models. I have a short LOP, so being able to adjust would help with recoil.

I'd chose a bergara 14 hmr in 308 if i could get one. thats one badass rifle. and with my hand loads, ammo is 3 times as cheap.

I agree the latest iteration of the savage 110's with accufit and accutrigger are sweet--the adjustable LOP and comb height on a hunter make it very serviceable as a bench gun as well IMO. I have one in 338 Lapua that feels less in recoil than a conventional 30-06--so I'm guessing they must be really nice in lower recoil calibers.

That may or may not be an issue, but when nothing is being made, shipped or sold, anywhere, by anyone, you may need to improvise. Means there's no place from which to reallocate resources. Box mags or not won't matter either. There won't be any.
The matrix has you.

Last edited:

Any AR-10 I've handled or shot seems to weigh far more than GP/utilitarian .308 should. Part of the issue is that dang 20 rd box hanging out the bottom. But even with a smaller mag, ANY AR platform will normally weigh more than a bolt rifle with similar features, the semi just has more mechanisms.

I'm a big fan of a do-all .308 bolt. Though I was not keen on them at first, the Ruger Predator has the features you describe, will allow cash for a tidy scope and rings, and by all accounts, are great shooters. Available in two barrel lengths as well. I do not have one, but am tempted by the 18" version every time I see it.

A .308 I do have is the Savage Hog rifle. It is a tad heavy for lugging about any real distance or length of time, but the 20" medium heavy barrel is handy and will accomodate a suppressor nicely if that is in your future. The accu-trigger suits me fine. Mine is fitted with a 6x42mm fixed scope, HD 6- screw rings and one piece base, and is more accurate than I am. The bare bones rifle is in the same price range as the Ruger.

Hmm, 7.65X51 only being used as machinegun fodder???
Tell that to the scout snipers still carrying around am M40!

If it were me, if I could find a good deal on a free floated AR-10 I'd look hard at it.

Outside of that...

Ruger American Predator - medium contour barrel should be fine for utilitarian use. Barrel is threaded, stock isn't amazing but with a little sandpaper and elbow grease, you can sand out the barrel channel enough to make it reliably free floated.

Thompson Center Compass + Boyd's stock - The OEM stock is flimsy, but you can get the rifle under $250 and a Boyd's stock for $200 (if you foot for the adjustable At-One) or less (any of their other options). That leaves you plenty extra for an optic and/or ammo. It comes with a threaded barrel, 5R rifling, and an MOA gurantee. I have no need for one, but if I happened across $250 randomly I'd probably buy one in .243 or 6.5 Creed just because holy cow is it a bargain and I don't own those calibers yet.

The 110 Tactical you mentioned is a nice rifle. My only concern would be the barrel might be heavier than you're looking for per your OP. I have one a 10 FCP with a heavy 22" barrel and it's a hoss especially after I dropped it in a Choate Tactical stock.

My suggestion is to take a look at the Ruger American. Mine in 308 has done very well to date. The plastic stock has not been a problem. All these entry level rifles come across as very good accurate pieces. Pick one.

Back