Inline Plug stuck? No problem

Wild Bill Bucks

Just had a guy over that had fired his inline a few times monday, and has not had a chance to clean it up. When he started cleaning he could not get the breech plug out without banging his scope, so he brought it to me.

I ate his butt a little for leaving his rifle unattended for so long, and then I had to giggle a little. This is the third one this year, that guys have brought over, with the same problem, so I thought I might post this thread on how to solve the problem.

Take a round toothpick and stick it in the breech plug hole, to stop it up, being careful not to break it off in the hole. Turn rifle, barrel up and pour some hot water down the barrel, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. The breech plug threads will absorb the hot water and loosen the grip the powder has on the threads, and it will come out very easily.

If you break the toothpick off in the hole, you will have a major problem getting it out, so be careful. Don't push it in so tight that you break it off. All you want to do, is stop the water from running out.

Hope this helps anyone who may have this problem, since it seems to be a frequent one.

Breech plug woes

Yes, Yes, Yes! Got to be religious about cleaning them even "while" shooting!
I usually shoot 4 to 6 shots depending on what powder I use then run a patch thru and dry. I even get real anal some times and pull the plug out to give it a quick clean. We were in the gun business for 40 odd years and 90%
of malfunctions were due to lack of cleaning or to much oil. Next time your on the road look around and see how many folks never wash their vehicles!!!
Black powder is crucial to clean them. I have found Triple Seven to give me a bit more flexibilty but it is not much. Also either super lube or gorilla grease
does help on the plug but your idea is very good when it is stuck!!:D

breach plugs need to be cleaned thourghly and the threads of the barrel cleaned with a breech brush and lubed with some good anti seize lube before going shooting, cleaning the breach plug and threads in the barrel after shooting and relubing with the anti seize lube you will not have any problems. glad you were able to get those things out they can be a chore if not done properly :)

While shooting at the range, it is a good idea, to break the plug loose with your wrench every two or three shots. Don't have to take it out, just enough to break the hold the powder has on the threads. This will make it a lot easier to get out when you get back to the house to clean it up.

Back