Inletting those Damnable Foam Inserts!

I've never been able to cut the foam for rifle cases very well. Blades dull quickly and it's a general abortion.

Enter, the Master! Gale taught me a simple solution. Mark your stencil from the back, as normal. Then get out your electric carving knife! Seriously, it's sitting right next to the crock pot, wok and juicer...but now it has a use!

Tried it today and I couldn't believe how well this works! Even used it to clean up the raggedy edges on some of my previously botched inserts.
Rich

From my experience, the best thing for cutting up those foam insert things is an electric hot knife. Never thought about the electric carving knife though!

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited January 25, 2000).]

Great tip. I've always used a hack saw blade, but I think the elec. knife would be better because you can usually cut straighter lines if you can cut through the material faster.

BTW, we do use our crock pot.

Shucks, I found out about that 10 years or so ago when I got a Pelican case for my SSG. Two minutes with a box cutter was enough to get me thinking, "There's gotta be an easier and neater way. Sure wish I had something with reciprocating blades....... Bingo!"

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Back