Initial for this guy.

Rleadslinger

Inactive
For the initial post! Been stalking these forums for a couple months and now im finally ready to commit. That being said, Im Retired active duty Army right out of the SOF community. Used a Glock 19 for a couple of years before i got out and now im looking to modify my personal one. My goal is to maybe compete (though im still a bit clueless on the rules of most competitions) as well as just have a weapon thats user friendly, by that i mean lightened trigger pulls, compensators, etc.

So first!
Can someone point me in the direction of rules and regulations regarding proper firearm competition, as we as weapons modification?
Second, thanks for finally validating my profile!

-Kip

If you are considering "practical" competition, then the two places to go are:
uspsa.org
idpa.com

USPSA is the older of the two, and has developed into a run-and-gun, seek-and-destroy game with no pretenses about "training" or "tactics".
IDPA was developed by a sub-set of the same guys who formed USPSA, with a focus on treating targets as if they were armed threats; you take cover if it's available, and don't run around in the open with an unloaded gun.

OP, it would help to know where you are located at. Some areas have more USPA and some more IDPA. You can search for clubs at the websites. However, keep in mind that both are games, timed and scored, have lots and lots of rules, but neither are tactics or training, even though IDPA is popularly believed to be such, just as USPSA is popularly believed to be a space gun race, it is not that either. In fact there are Single Stack (1911), Production, Limited 10 and Carry Optics Divisions, none of which are space guns. Production is the most popular division in USPSA right now. It still involves movement, whether you run a 8 round 1911 or a 31 round Open gun. Reloads are not restricted in USPSA. Both games will allow you to sharpen certain gun handling skills, you will find the stages much more difficult in USPSA but with a higher round count. Contact the match directors and tell them you are interested but a newbie. Some clubs require a full day orientation before you can shoot a match.

"...My goal is to maybe compete..." In what? Rifle? Handgun? Probably best to start by talking to your local NRA affiliate. https://home.nra.org/
There's something for everybody, but every competitive course of fire is different with different rules. Hold off doing anything(especially spending any money) with your pistol until you find the game you like most.
Neither IPSC/IDPA nor USPSA are remotely practical. All of 'em are shooting games and nothing more.

TO, I believe the OP is talking about handgun, since he mentioned a Glock 19. IPSC is especially impractical for Americans...... What games you shoot probably has more to do with where you live. SoCal, along with the Phoenix area has lots of choices, but if you live in the middle of nowhere, not so many choices, regardless.

Neither IPSC/IDPA nor USPSA are remotely practical. All of 'em are shooting games and nothing more.

If improving your gunhandling skills to a level as high as anyone in the world could hope to achieve is a "practical" goal, then USPSA and IDPA are eminently practical. ;)

The games teach certain gun handling skills, shooting quickly and accurately while on the mover from awkward positions, sometimes one handed, at moving targets. But they are not tactics.

Back