Information on Morton Gun Works

Chaparral

Recently I have acquired a custom built rifle from Morton Gun Works from Wichita Falls, Texas. This is an older rifle built from a man by the name of Paul Morton from what information I have gathered. An older shooter told me he was considered one of the top gun makers of his day. He also told me that he only had one hand. He told me he can remember going into his shop, as a young boy, with his dad. Does anyone have any other information about his work or rifles?

Paul Morton Guns

Hi! I’m so glad I found your post. Paul Morton was my great grandfather. He drove a blue Cadillac with an Airstream attached. My Grandmother, Edith Paulen Morton (later Massey) was named after him. During WWII he worked for the railroad in Wichita Falls. The RR station there was a hub for transporting solidiers overseas. My grandmother, Edith, was dropped off as an infant by her birth father who was headed off to war. Paul and his wife Lilibelle or Lilibeth, I can’t remember, couldn’t have children so they took her. We have no legal documentation of the adoption since we were at war. He was a gun smith and wood worker in Wichita Falls, TX. He made 100 wooden wagons every year for the Salvation Army Christmas drive. He was a good man, a hard worker. He left his alcoholic wife eventually and set out on his own in the 1970’s. My father was born to Edith and a Vietnam soldier, Donald Massey, in 1967. Paul Morton died in 1988 the same year I was born. We try to keep this story alive in our family. My aunt, Veronica (Massey), loved him very much. I believe we have photos. He sold his entire collection to a man named Charles Thompson. My aunt has been trying to track down his guns ever since. Do you still have this rifle? Feel free to email me jessicawolloscheck@gmail.com.

Last edited:
Cont.

Yes. He only had 1 arm. He lost it in a gun accident. Blew it right off. He made all of his guns with only the 1 arm.

Back