Information on an Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun Sought

dgludwig

My neighbor/friend was just bequeathed a 12 gauge, Ithaca Model 37 (3/4" chamber) from his father-in-law. It has a 30" long, full-choked, vent-rib barrel. Both sides of the receiver are adorned with hunting scene etchings. The butt-stock has impressed "checkering on the pistol grip and a plastic butt-plate. The fore-end has the "corncob" configuration.
The serial no. is 986-3xx. The gun is in remarkably good shape; has no scratches or dents in the wood and no rust on the metal parts. It appears to have an all original finish.
He would like to know when his Model 37 was made and its approximate worth for insurance purposes.
Thanks for any help.

Price guesstimates- I could not get my check book out fast enough when I saw one for $275 in fair condition (scratches and chipped stock). In nice shape frame late 60’s.. I would pay $350 without much hesitation. You could replace it for $450.

Fair call !!!

I would pay $350 without much hesitation. You could replace it for $450.
That is a fairly good range and if it were mine, I'd insure it for $500.00. This are getting harder to find and sure with I had my old one back …. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Remember the Ithaca's have become niche guns with limited production.
Only so many made, and some variations are very limited production numbers.

It is still one of the nicest handling pump guns made.

Back