Information on a Beretta over-under

Beezer

I have recently be bitten by the shooting bug. I inherited several rifles and shotguns when my grandfather passed a few years ago and I am interested in gathering some information on them.

One of the guns I received is a Beretta, over-under shotgun, model S56E (I think). I want to get a little more information on this gun (year it was made, approximate value, etc). I'd like to know if this is one I can shoot or needs to be stored away because it is some kind of collectors item.

Where is the best place to find this information? I've checked Beretta's website and didn't see anything that helped in establishing age, etc.

Thanks!

Beezer said:
I want to get a little more information on this gun (year it was made, approximate value, etc).

I'd like to know if this is one I can shoot or needs to be stored away because it is some kind of collectors item.

Where is the best place to find this information?

First, Beezer - Welcome to TFL !

Second, the best place to find out when your Beretta was made in on the gun itself.

By Italian Proof Law, every gun is stamped with a date code, either on the barrel/chamber undersides or inside the actions (besides chambering information) - so you need to remove the forend and dismount the barrels for a visual inspection of it's markings.

The date codes are in Roman numerals from 1945-74, letters after that - for example, 1966 = XXII, 1976=AB.

Beretta also stamps the model number into the left side of the bbl set, near the rear of the chamber and/or extractor stem.

You haven't mentioned the gauge, but they're worth a minimum of $450 for a 12ga in good/excellent condition, more for a 20ga.

The 56E was the basis for today's Model 686/687 series, and although many don't care for the fixed chokes, they're solid/dependable shooters.

I don't know of any "collector" demand for them, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

The gun is a 20 ga.

Next question is what is the best way to clean and care for the gun? It's got some dirt and grime on it and has a small surface rust spot on the barrel.

Clean with the solvent of your choice - Hoppe's, Shooter's Choice, Breakfree, ad nauseum. Wipe down with a good oil like RemOil or Hoppe's or similar. See if the oil will removes the rust by using a light amount and a plastic scrubbie - NOT the Scotchbrite abrasive green pad, bit those soft plastic round doughnut types; if that doesn't work, some oil and some bronze wool, maybe 0000 steel wool - the key is to go LIGHTLY -you want to remove the rust, not the finish. If it fits you, it will be a great shooter; depending on the fixed chokes and your needs, either shoot what you have, contact Briley about thin walls choke tube installation, or call Mike Orlen in Maine about just opening them up to a different fixed choke constriction.

Personally, I like fixed chokes - less to mess with, less to go wrong and if the gun is "mission-specific", ala a pheasant gun or quail gun, then it doesn't really matter if the chokes are fixed

Of course, as they say on these forums - without pics, it doesn't exist! :D

Enjoy it

Thanks for the cleaning tips. I'll give those a shot this evening.

Of course, as they say on these forums - without pics, it doesn't exist!

I'll also try to remember to take some pictures this evening as well. ;)

In my area, value is around $500 with fixed chokes.../ its not a sought after model by collectors ...but it doesn't mean you won't get many, many years of good use out of the gun....

I second BigD's comments about seeing if you can get the rust off just using a little solvent and some oil .....

Of course, as they say on these forums - without pics, it doesn't exist!

Here's a few pictures to prove it does exist. ;)

arGMiVU9Y4Gwj3P7MCmC24Ddqhmb5fWJywvTFYvUyqM=w337-h224-p-no

b4GpLiZAND9DgmoBIuKiyzGJzQHctw3DsnAr1u5e9rw=w338-h224-p-no

nJ1ASw02Hydrn6_FtPW5G7qT3f8wF1Wrhx4-vMHgjpc=w311-h207-p-no

Your Beretta carries more profuse engraving than the average bear - VERY nice !

AFAIK, while the basic model/design was the S56, what you have there was known/imported as either the BL-3 or BL-4 (higher grades had greyed/silvered receivers), depending upon whether the gun has selective ejectors (BL4) or plain extractors (BL3) for fired shells - which US-imported guns had somewhat less engraving than your O/U.

And if you decide you just can't live with those fixed chokes, I'll take it off your hands for $100 plus shipping.............................:D:D

You should be proud your Grandfather had such good taste and class when it came to firearms. It usually reflects on how he lived his life. Take care of his memories.

I have one; got it for $500.00. I shortened the stock, added a new recoil pad, and had Briley thin-walls installed. It was originally choked improved modified and full, although I think it was even tighter than that.

These things are shooters......have at it.

Back