Info on Winchester Model 670 w/ Tasco (Japan) Scope, please

The Captain

Inactive
A friend of mine has an old Winchester Model 670 .30-06 which his father bought used about 30 years ago and hasn't shot since the late 80's. It appears to be in good shape, no visible rust, bolt moves smoothly and has been in a rifle bag in a cool, dry cedar closet for several years.

It has a Tasco (Japanese) 3-9x32 scope which has no markings on it other than #629W on the ocular ring. The movement is smooth and it seems to be in good shape, clear glass, reticle intact.

He's not a shooter and wants to sell the rifle and the scope. I would consider the deal and might move the scope to one of my Marlin .22lr if I can find out anything about it.

So, can anyone give me any info on either the rifle or the scope and/or what to look for when inspecting the setup? We haven't even begun to discuss price.

The M670 is a "Budget" priced M70, ...

but has a maple/birch hardwood stock and a blind magazine.
But an M70 action. The SN should be of the "G" prefix then the numbers afterwards.

It is a post 64 action with the "push-feed", round pops from mag and then is pushed into chamber and the extractor slide neck and into the extractor groove of case,
not the "controlled feed" of the claw type extractor, which the case relseases from mag and slide up bolt face, under the extractor claw.

Tasco was a reasonable scope at one time.

What ever price he's asking should be okay,but that's your decision on what to pay.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The Captain:

The Winchester 670 is one of the first post 1964 Winchester 70 series of rifles. As mentioned, it has a birch wood concealed magazine and is push fed. At the time Winchester was going through redesigns for it M70 and the 670 wasn't well accepted mostlly because of it looks: it lacked the sleek lines and the feel of a pre 64 moded 70. Although homely it is a safe and accurate rifle. During my twenty years of selling guns, Tasco scopes were not regarded favorably.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

I would disagree with one of the last comments 'Tasco scopes were not considered faviourably'.

Like most scope manufacturers, Tasco scopes are built by others- ie Tasco is a marketing company like Bushnell. Tasco scopes of that period were made in Japan and had decent optics for the price. Sure, they are not a Leupold, but, for an economy scope for an economy rifle like a Win 670, I think you will find it will give sterling service.

Tascos are a case of "Ya never know." Some lie down and die rather quickly; some give good service.

So, as far as pricing on the deal, don't add much for the scope. As far as the rifle, I guess do some looking on websites like gunbroker.com...

Back