Info on winchester 22lr ammo?

Scratch

Can someone tell me the velocities of winchester 22lr ammo? I'm interested in the 36 grain HP and the 40 grain hp. Also what is the drop in these two at 100 yards.
Thanks
Scratch

Scratch:
I hope this may help in some way:

22 LONG RIFLE
.22 LONG RIFLE:
Introduced: 1887
High-Velocity 1930
Type: Rimfire
Length: 1.00"
Powder: Nitrocellulose
Primer: Rim Capacity

BULLET:

Type: 1) Lead 1375 f.s. HV

1) 1230 f.s. Int-V
1) 1030 f.s. std-V
2) HP 1400 f.s. HV
Dia: .2255"
Wgt:

1)40grn 2) 37gr

CARTRIDGE CASE:

Length: .613"
Overall: 1.000"
Dia Rim: .278"
Base: .226 Under Head
Mouth: .226"
Head: .226"
Pressure: 22,000lb/sq.in.
Bore Dia Min: .217"
Max: .225"
Developed by the J. Stevens Arms & tool Company. It is the 22long case With a 5gr blackpowder charge and a 40gr bullet in stead of the original 29gr. At one time the 22 LR was available in black, semi-smokeless powder loads. Remington introduced the first high-velocity type in 1930. Both the 40-grn solid and a 37 gr hollowpoint bullet have been available for many years. The original case was not crimped, a feature that did not appear until 1900

hjn

the winchester i've used in 22lr was not very good, the remington golden bullet is probably the best one out there for the price.

Thanks Harley
Both of these bullets are HP.
I'm looking for a good bullet to use on squirrels. I have mixed feeling on each of these. It seems that the 36 gr would have higher velocity than the 40 gr and would expand faster upon impact and make bigger holes, but that the 40 gr would mantain a greater velocity over a greater distant and be more accurate at distance.
Is this logic flawed? And if it is not what would be the better bullet for the application?
Thanks
Scratch

Scratch:
I don't think your thoughts are flawed, but I would think the HP is a little over kill when it comes to squirrels. Even the HV has a tendency to tear them up. I have always used the Stnd Velocity with great success and accuracy.

HJN

This sounds terrible, like placing myself above the master, (sorry Harley), but its with all due respect I cast my vote for at least a high velocity solid. My old model 60 was quite accurate with the 40 gr solid HV's and I had better success with them. On longer shots I have noted the standard velocity often times does not produce the quick kill I am looking for, especially in a solid bullet. It was for this reason that I have switched both gun and ammo. I now use a Marlin 880SQ with CCI Mini-Mags. Yes I probably destroy some extra edible meat, BUT, they are powerfull and quick killers of the little vermin. As big of pests as they are, I can't tolerate watching the suffering of any animal. Quick and efficient is the way to go. (IN MY BOOK)

Thank-you though to Mr. Nolden who is as always a wonderfull resource of usefull information. Giving away any more Krag rifles soon?

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

Sorry guys, But I'm not eating these squirrels. These are ground squirrels and I'm varmitting. Doc, I'm with you I don't want to see them crawling away. I want a clean kill. That was the whole point of this post.
Thanks again for the imput.
Scratch

SCRATCH,DOCSPANKEY:
I guess that I always think of complete marksmanship when I am hunting or shooting. I place my shots to do the "quick kill" on the game or adversary. That's why I just assumed the standard velocity regarding the squirrel. A clean head shot with the SV is sufficient. if the shot isn't there I don't take it.

The distance in normally less than 50 yds, I get in close, so I generally use the stnd vel.

I will also agree with both of your thoughts on the HP. How can one disagree. The round is designed for what you are describing, and with not eatin the silly things, your choice is accepted.

It is a matter of preferance for me and not normally accepted by most. No harm done.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited February 07, 2000).]

Whew, I really was more scared of P.O.ing Harley. I am not the worlds greatest shot from anything other that a rest, so if my shot is a little low, I want'em to die quick, where as if its high, left or right, you keep walking as the squirrel counts his lucky stars. The squirrels I hunt are of the tree variety, I pop the ground squirrels as vermin and feed them to the neighborhood dogs.

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

I have found winchesters to feed poorly in everything I have except
A. 10/22 rifle, which eats anything
B. H&R 9 shot revolver... hmm, wonder why...?
:)
Everything else they seem to get stuck, case ruptures, all sorts of evil things, so I stick with remingtons :) They cost less, and work great
And out of curiousity, who the heck actually eats squirrels anyway? Did I miss an wonderful American delicacy and never know it? If so, How to cook it?

KY-midnight, I have to say I was a bit stunned by your remarks on squirrel-eating. I grew up shooting 'em and taking them home to my mom to cook. Yes, you are missing out on a delicacy. I know it's the ultimate food cliche, but they do taste a lot like chicken--only more flavorful. I personally prefer them pan fried, but my boss has a stupendously great recipe for squirrel and dumplings.

Ask around in your neck of the woods; I'm sure you'll find lots of folks who agree. Maybe if you sweet-talk 'em they'll invite you over for a taste of what you've been missing.

BTW, the Kentucky rifle (I checked your profile) saw much use as a squirrel-getter,and those guys didn't waste lead on something they couldn't eat.

weegee

What's the name, Quick Shok, or something like that? I got some from Cheaper Than Dirt and tried on on a rock squirrel in my yard. (Same size, basically as the reds and grays across the south.) At about 15 yards, he reacted more like he'd been hit with a .22 Hornet...The bullet splits into three parts, it sez, and does Bad Things. I didn't do an autopsy, but it was instant-gone for the squirrel.

The CCI MiniMags are accurate in one of my .22s, and they do well on squirrels.

FWIW, Art

Ate a ground squirrel once when I was a kid. Not much meat at all and it was dry and stringy, although it did taste like chicken.

My favorite HP .22 for my bolt action Marlin is the Winchester. They have the best price/power ratio IMO. The CCI Stingers are my favorite for knock down power, but they do cost more.

Back