Info on Uberti SA please.

HEMIHOG

rZiNmhh5osEJRdhA6

This is my first Uberti, can't find much info on it, any help would be appreciated.

Bottom of barrel "A. UBERTI-ITALY EMF S.A. CAL"

Top of barrel "HARTFORD MODEL"

Left side of case "PAT SEPT. 19.1871"
"PAT JULY. 2. 1872"

Left side of Barrell "SINGLE ACTION ARMY .357"

Cylinder "0521"

Loading gate "0521"

Front of frame just below cylinder pin "522"

front bottom of frame is serial number, possible date code and other marks I can't quite make out, included pic.

Left side of barrel, proof marks I believe, not sure what they mean, I included a picture.

What I know:
I have a SAA, case hardened, chambered in 357 Magnum with 5 1/2" barrel.

What I think I know:
Made by Uberti, imported by EMF
Colt 1873 SAA reproduction.

What I want to know.
When was it made?
If the different parts have serial numbers, why don't they match?
What do the proof marks mean?
Is this a close of Colt 1873 SAA? Are parts interchangeable?
Does someone sell a 9MM cylinder for it?
And most importantly, what is the best way to clean this up?
It looks like it's been neglected far too long with lots of crud and a few rust spots.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
HemiHog

Attachments

• image000003.jpg.jpeg
    image000003.jpg.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image000001.jpg (1).jpeg
    image000001.jpg (1).jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 87372.jpeg
    87372.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
The date code will be in a stamped box on the frame, find it to match one of these.
I = 1945, II =46, III = 47, IV = 48, V = 49, VI = 50, VII = 51, VIII = 52, IX = 53, X = 54, XI = 55, XII = 56, XIII = 57, XIV = 58, XV = 59, XVI = 60, XVII = 61, XVIII = 62, XIX = 63, XX =64, XXI = 65, XXII = 66, XXIII = 67, XXIV = 68, XXV = 69, XXVI = 70, XVII = 71, XXVII - 72, XXIX = 73, XXX = 74, AA = 75, AB = 76, AC = 77, AD =78, AE = 79, AF =80, AH = 81, AI = 82, AL = 83, AM = 84, AN = 85, AP = 85, AS = 87, AT = 88, AU = 89, AZ = 90, BA = 91, BB = 92, BC = 93, BD = 94, BF = 95, BH = 96, BI = 97, BL = 98, BM = 99, BN = 2000, BP = O1, BS =02, BT = 03, BU = 04, BZ = 05, CA = 06, CB = 07, CC =08, CD = 09, CF = 10, CH = 11, CJ = 12, CM 13, CN = 14, CP =15 CS=16, CT=17, CU=18, and CZ=19
On yours it maybe under the trigger guard.
Those are assembly numbers.
The gun pasted Italian proofs.
It is very close copy of an original Colt, most parts can be fitted to to a Colt.
Finding a different cylinder would be difficult.
Clean with any of the nitro solvents and a soft rag, nothing abrasive like steel wool!

Last edited:
ebay is probably your best bet on finding a cylinder. You can cut off the back end of that long cylinder pin to make it look right. The case hardening isn't real. it's just a finish.

rZiNmhh5osEJRdhA6

This is my first Uberti, can't find much info on it, any help would be appreciated.

Bottom of barrel "A. UBERTI-ITALY EMF S.A. CAL"

Top of barrel "HARTFORD MODEL"

Left side of case "PAT SEPT. 19.1871"
"PAT JULY. 2. 1872"

Left side of Barrell "SINGLE ACTION ARMY .357"

Cylinder "0521"

Loading gate "0521"

Front of frame just below cylinder pin "522"

front bottom of frame is serial number, possible date code and other marks I can't quite make out, included pic.

Left side of barrel, proof marks I believe, not sure what they mean, I included a picture.

What I know:
I have a SAA, case hardened, chambered in 357 Magnum with 5 1/2" barrel.

What I think I know:
Made by Uberti, imported by EMF
Colt 1873 SAA reproduction.

What I want to know.
When was it made?
If the different parts have serial numbers, why don't they match?
What do the proof marks mean?
Is this a close of Colt 1873 SAA? Are parts interchangeable?
Does someone sell a 9MM cylinder for it?
And most importantly, what is the best way to clean this up?
It looks like it's been neglected far too long with lots of crud and a few rust spots.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
HemiHog
I can't imagine why you are having trouble finding information about your Uberti revolver. It's the most common copy of the Colt SAA. A spare cylinder can be ordered from Taylor's, Cimmaron. or from Numrich in 9mm if you want one.

Most parts won't interchange with Colt - some will.

You might try using Google.

Nothing better for rust spots

Find yourself a pre 1963 one red cent penny. All copper. No more than a dime if you must go to a coin shop for a poor condition one. We don't care about the coins condition, other than being fairly clean.
Use the penny to rub the rust off while flooding the area with CLP or good gun oil. The lube will carry away the debris as you rub it off. Copper is much softer than ordinance steel. I live in a very wet place and come across guns rusted up.
The rub it with a penny and oil routine is superior to any other method I have used over many years. Just did a nice old JM Marlin I "found" on a workbench at my kiddos place. Just spots now on the receiver, try it. Once the rust is gone use brake clean to totally degrease and touch up blue of your choice.

Thanks Hawg

Good to know, I used an old Banana back just the same. I was just amazed at how well this works. Since Zinc is also soft should one wear through the copper it may make zero difference.

Zinc is soft but will scratch the bluing up where copper won't. Another option is a copper scrubbing pad, just make sure it's pure copper and not copper plated.

Zinc shouldn't scratch steel.
If the Uberti is older, the color case hardening will be real. Uberti has been building SA copies since the 1960s. They are fine guns.

Back