Info on this derringer???

FLICK

Inactive
I found an old box in my grandmothers basement, that had personel items from my late grandfather

In one box contain a derringer looking gun, but one the barrel it reads remington & sons ny elliots dec 12 1865, and when you open the barrel on the back side it states 87

any info on this gun?
thanks in advance

E. Remington and Sons was trademark used from 1856-1888. Elliot's was a model of their derringer. Five shot mostly in various .22 rimfire, Four shot Elliots in .32 caliber. Even with only half the original finish remaining they fetch from 5-7 hundred bucks.

Sounds like a nice find and sumpin to hang on to for future generations to enjoy.

Sam

That is the famous Remington "double Derringer". They are .41 rimfire caliber. Around 165,000 were made from 1866 to 1935. There is difference in value depending on the variation. Can you provide the exact markings and where they are - left barrel rib, right barrel rib, top of barrels, etc. and maybe I can pin it down.

Also check the hinge at the top of the frame where the barrels pivot. If it is intact, you are fortunate, at many are broken. You don't indicate the overall condition, and that is an important factor in any evaluation.

Ammunition is available from time to time, but those guns should not be fired for the reason mentioned above.

Jim

Multiple Possibilities

Flick, it would help to know the following in determining exactly which Remington Derringer you might be describing. Because you used the word 'Elliots' in your original description there are a few different possibilities.

1. Does this derringer have, one, four or five barrels.

2. Is it chambered for a .22 , .32 or .41 caliber cartridge?

Knowing these answer will help to pinpoint exactly which model of Remington Derringer you have found.

Steve Mace

I may be wrong, but I think that patent date was used only on the double derringer. While other Remington derringers are called "Elliot derringers", the double is also an Eliot design.

Of course a better description from FLICK would resolve the question.

Jim

Back