Info on the CZ 527 Varmint .223 REM

sirgilligan

The CZ rifles chambered for .223 are also good for 5.56 NATO.

Directly from CZ USA:

I'm sure you know this already, but our rifles are built to CIP spec, which doesn't differentiate between .223 and 5.56, it uses the higher pressure of the two and considers them one cartridge. So our rifles are built to shoot anything from match .223 to surplus 5.56.

For those of us that have 5.56 semi-auto's and would like a bolt action rifle then the CZ is an excellent option in my opinion.

I have been looking at this rifle in 223 also, I have not been able to find the twist. I have been on the web but could not locate it.
Never mind its 1/9 to fast for the bullets I want to shoot.
Once again I miss read it the 527 has a 1/12" twist which is what I want for lighter bullets.

Last edited:
Did you e-mail them to get this response? I own this gun and have never tried shooting 5.56 out of it for the obvious reasons. Seems strange that they stamp the barrel with ".223" instead of ".223/5.56" if this is the case. Would be great to hear how you found this out and who at CZ told you this.

in 223, the varmint/heavy barrel/target is 1:9
the others are 1:12

the single set triggers are nice, and the varmint is a good shooter..
(at least with 55-69 gr) I haven't tried lighter..

I'm still trying to see what it likes BEST..

highlight the rifle you want to see, and caliber, the twist shows up in the specs..
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/

I asked the same question years ago and got the same answer. The info came from "Chris Johns - cj@cz-usa.com"

"Yes. 5.56 ammo is safe to shoot.

-----Original Message-----

Subject: CZ527

Hi,

I own a CZ527 in .223. I'm wondering if it is OK to shoot 5.56 NATO ammo in this rifle?

Thanks,

Rich"

I checked out the MVP, it is a nice gun but the fit and finish on the CZ is superior. Accuracy is quite a bit better on the CZ as well.

Back