Info on TEN-X M/L target pistols, needed

Pahoo

Info on 10-Ring M/L target pistols, needed

Kindly excuse my lack of knowledge on M/L Target pistols but a friend of mine wants to sell me a set of what he is referring to as competition M/L target pistols. Both have matching serial numbers. One is percussion and the other is a flintlock. He use to shoot it, in completion out at Friendship but has gotten out of that, do to his age. Have little to know idea what these are except that they are fairly new design with no historical background. .... :confused:

Any and all info. would be appreciate or perhaps you can direct my to a site that might have this info. ....... ;)

Thanks again and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Do they sort of look like this? This is a 10-Ring target pistol made by 10-Ring Precision of San Antonio TX. I don't think they make muzzleloaders anymore but still work on modern guns for IPSC, Bullseye, and CAS shooters.
Then again, there may also be a 10X pistol, there are so many small time gunsmiths that make custom guns just for competition, most of them small production cottage industry, retired tool and die makers working out of a backyard shop.

037.jpg

The 10 Ring was made in S.A. as mentioned and is no longer made. The frame is based on a Model 1911 and grips for 1911's will fit 10 Rings.

Does he have the instructions for them and how to adjust the trigger? There are 2 adjustments for the adjusting the trigger.

I have both the percussion and flintlock, same serial numbers. Last time I checked the maker still had some parts available for the flintlock. If you buy them, order a spare frizzen, frizzen spring, screws, etc. He does not want to work on one if it's broken.

As mentioned there are a number of folks who have made similar pistols and the style is the one of choice in the unlimited matches.

I won't attempt to remember them all, but the Yazel is no longer made and they are getting very hard to find in the used market. Only way to get one is to find someone who is quitting shooting. The Lewis is a good pistol in flintlock, but the percussion has some challenges and can get cranky.

Generally if you listed all similar pistols from 1 to whatever, the 10 Ring will be at the bottom of the list by the ranked shooters.

With the design of the 10 Ring, it is nearly impossible to get the nipple out and the nipple is much longer than needed. Check to see it you can get the nipple out. When taking the flintlock apart be very careful, there is a very tiny spring inside that is very easy to lose and will never be found again. You have to make one from a ball point pen.

Both of mine have become unsafe at times and go off unexpectedly, not good in a match.

There are better pistols than 10 Rings and mine have been placed into back roles to other pistols.

If you are looking for pistols to shoot in the unlimited matches, they are the style that everyone uses.

If they are in excellent shape and the price is fair I would buy them while looking for a Yazel or Lewis. It took me a long time to find a Yazel and I settled for a Lewis since I could not find a flint Yazel.

That has to be them !!!

fdf & B.L.E.,
That has to be it as the 1911 style frame was mentioned. Don't know where they got TEN-X confused with 10-Ring. I'm told that they are still in good shape. I know the Old-Boy who has them and his word has always been good. I understand that there has to be a limited following for this type of M/L. I would buy them with the intention of getting familiar with them and eventually find a better home that shoots competition. I can see these going for a return visit, to Friendship .... :)

Truly appreciate your input and if you would, what is a good price range on their worth? As stated before, these have matching S/N's and I believe he also said that they were in a case. He is asking $800.00 for the set. What say your guys and once again, I thank you for your input. I am in your debt. .... ;)

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

I have had them all, and the best one of the bunch to me is the Lewis. The best
trigger is on the Mouzan which is still made and sold for around 450. The
Lightning is still made here in Missouri and sold. Here is our Lightning

bacc01b10f40a33a89b283bab3d0966b.jpg

Here is the Mouzan

50897b45f17dbff08ad9d278f7625df9.jpg

My favorite , My Lewis
ThisOne2.jpg

CompetitionPistols-1.jpg

Last edited:
In 2008, I paid $625, for the pair. To me, a case means nothing.

A pair brings value and they should not be separated.

When I bought mine they were in excellent condition, no rust or visible wear. Each came in the original box, each had the original wood grips and each had the original paper work and instructions which brings value.

Phil is probably a better source for prices.

In East Texas you cannot find pistols like these, so there is nothing to compare prices with.

To me, $800 would be out of my range considering there are better pistols "IF" you can find them. With what I found, I might be a buyer at $675 to keep them and wanted to start competitive shooting.

If you are considering buying them for re-sale I would go $650 tops and you are not going to make much money.

Hope this helps.

The set is probably worth $800........................if you can find a buyer.

You are more likely to find a buyer at Friendship than anywhere else.

What you can get for them also depends on how patient you are for the right buyer to come along and the right buyer will be someone who wants a competitive target pistol for NMLRA pistol matches. These are competition tools and will not likely have any significant collector's value, at least not in our lifetime.

I really like the cant of the Lewis flintlock trigger, wish all unlimited pistols were like it.

Back