Info on Squires Bingham "aka Armscor"

doctorj77

Looking for any info or opinions on a Squires Bingham .22 rifle. From what I understand there are a couple models, M1600, 20.....and maybe a few more. I've read they were/still are manufactured in the Philipines. Do they own Armscor?

I have a Nagant M38 that I might be trading for a Model 20. Its about 20yrs old and labeled with SEARS. I guess some were labeled for retailers like Kmart & Sears.

Are these rifles any good? I would like a inexpensive plinker .22 and someone offered this in trade for my M38. I found some mags & misc parts at Numrich so if anything breaks at least there are options.

Just looking for opinions on these rifles, experiences from owners...etc

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the Armscor Model 20C carbine - resembles a Mossberg 152 action in a Ruger 10-22 style stock, with a far nicer stock finish than Ruger.
It has proven a reliable and accurate shooter - again, better than my Ruger 10-22.
I'd suggest giving it a try. :)

They used to sell those same rifles in Australia when I lived there, under the Stirling brand name. They were made in the Philipines by a company called Bangor Punta if memory serves me. They used to have a Model 14 (bolt action .22LR), Model 15 (bolt action .22 Mag.), & the Model 20 (semi-auto .22LR). The quality was pretty average, but they were a lower priced brand & very popular. Pretty sure they did some upgrading & added a couple of zeros to the model numbers (Model 1400, etc.)

Well its a done deal. I have to say its a nice looking rifle. The finish is about 90%, which is good for its age. I was marked Kmart not Sears I guess. If I remember correctly Kmart stopped selling most of their rimfires back in the early to mid eighties.

Now being the nostalgic nerd I am, I bought a Kmart All Pro 4x32 vintage scope for it. Problem is the Weaver rings wont fit on the grooved scope rail, its built right into the receiver. The rings appear to be the standard 1in.

Are most .22 rifles a 3/8 base for rings? My Dad's old Remington Speedmaster has the same setup, grooved right into the receiver.

Any input is appreciated.

Too late now, but Squires Bingham rifles are very low end rifles.
"...Are most .22 rifles a 3/8 base for rings?..." Yep. A '.22 scope' will go on it.

Back