Info on Remington Sportsman 48 TC

Heidero

Inactive
I just purchased an upgraded 12 gauge Sportsman 48 TC and it's a very cool old gun.

I'd like to know more about this model as I can't find much info on the TC designation being made in that model. Lots of info on 870 TC's and Model 31 TC's, but nothing on the Sportsman 48 TC.

I called Remington and they said that it was manufactured in 1949 based on the serial number (3006XXX), but that's all they had on it. It has highly figured wood, cut checkering, a 30" Full choke barrel with twin beads and a vent rib. The only markings on the receiver are the serial # on the left side and underneath it has:

Remington
The Sportsman 48 TC

It was sent to Gun Works in NY and reblued nicely there and sold to the gentleman I purchased it from. Nice gun and can't wait to shoot it.

I have tried to upload two pics, so hopefully they come through. Thanks for your interest and help! I enjoy this forum and have learned alot!

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 25
Three shot version of the Model 11-48 auto-loading shotgun. Made from 1948 to 1968. Approximately 276,000 made.
You sure it says 'TC'? There was a Sportsman '48D Tournament Grade. 'TG' that means Tournament Grade.

Man, I thought you were on to something there T O'Heir! So I went to look and it does say TC. I added a new picture up close. I thought maybe it was worn and I didn't make it out, but it's pretty clear.

I added another new picture of the bottom side of the barrel. I've read that sometimes these markings can mean something, especially if it was sent back or done as a custom shop gun?

Thanks - never had a gun like this that it was a journey to find info out on. Cool!

Attachments

• IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 24
The "Grades" were ADL or A, BDL or B, C, D, and F. Skeet or Trap A is a regular gun with a skeet or trap barrel and in the case of trap, trap dimensions. B had slightly better wood, and before '63 denoted hand checkering. C had better wood still and hand cut (later machine cut) checkering. D had better wood and usually some other embellishments like gold filled inlays and such. F wad fully engraved, often had gold or silver inlays, and they usually list for around $7,000 up. Tournament Skeet or Tournament Trap was the equivalent of the earlier B grade in Trap or Skeet configuration, and Tornament C is obvious, in my opinion. There has never been a TG grade.

Sorry for the confusion but the Remington website is not clear, or dare I say 'correct'. There has never been to my knowledge any stamped "TG". There has been a Skeet - T and a Trap - T, and the T did stand for tournament to the best of my knowledge, and that goes for 870s and 1100s as well. And in my opinion the T stamped guns were the equivalent of 'C' grade. None of the D grade guns I have ever seen were stamped T, or TG, and until I looked at the link you posted I have never seen D grade referred to as Tournament Grade before either. If a T is Tournament Grade, why spend the extra money for a D if is is "just" a Tournament Grade too?

Thanks guys - I do apprecite all the info.

So it sounds like I have Trap or Tournament gun in C grade, built in '49!

I'll let you know how it shoots fter this week.

Rob

Back