Info on Police Security Six, please...

Zander

Anyone own the Bicentennial Model of the Ruger Police Security Six?

It's a blued .357 Mag, 4" bbl., with stainless two-tone hammer and grooved trigger.

Below the cylinder release, it's marked:

"MADE IN THE 200th YEAR
OF AMERICAN LIBERTY"

How many of these special-edition revolvers were built? What were the standard grips for it? Were any built in years other than 1976?

Thanks in advance for the help... :)

All Rugers made in 76 were so stamped. They don't have much more value than any other Ruger. They are a first class DA 357 revolver. Ruger doesn't make them anymore and they are still very popular.

Anyone know what the stock grips were like for this fine revolver?

Better yet, anyone have a spare pair?

I may, but a few questions about the model and the grip frame.

Is this gun a Police Service Six with fixed sights and square butt? If it is, does the serial number start with 151- or higher. I seem to remember that Ruger changed the frame at this point in the run, but all of my books are at home.

I don't know if the '76 Police Service Six came with the standard grips, but if it did they are skinny, checkered wood. There should be plenty of them floating around because, in my experience, most folks don't like them.

I have a set from my '85 P-S-Six (s.n. in the 160- series) if I can find them. I've seen them once or twice in the bottom of the "stuff" box since I took them off the gun in 1986. Let me look this evening and I'll check back and see what we're working with.

John

You might want the wooden grips to make your piece original and/or complete, but for shooting they really suck, way too small. If you have rubber after-market grips that fill-in behind the trigger guard, that's the way to go.

Cdnninvestments.com has Ruger grips.

johnbt...

'Yes' to all your questions...fixed sights, square butt, serial # in the 151xxx range.

If you'd check your box [the contents from mine are going to the next gun show ;)], I'd sure appreciate it. If you can't find them, I'll pick up a pair at the show.

The PSS [now mine] is in great shape, practically nothing except a cylinder drag mark and some holster wear...even the recoil shield is unmarked.

Likely someone shot it with .38 Specials and not many .357 Mags...the cylinder still had some residue in that magic one-tenth inch. :cool:

Thanks for the info!

Back