Info on newly aqcuired .357 python

GunFreak

Inactive
I just recently purchased my first revolver, a royal blue Colt Python .357 Magnum. It has a 6" vent rib barrell, adjustable rear sight, checkered wood grips, a grooved trigger and the hammer is grooved (or textured) as well. The writing on the barrell and the "colt" behind the cylinder are enlayed with a gold fill. The serial # is 453XXE with "H" beneath the serial #. It is in very good condition. My questions are: Is this just a regular Python (I don't remember noticing the gold filled lettering on others I have seen)? And, is there anyway to find out how old the gun is without sending Colt $100 and waiting 3 months.

Thanks for any help

John

First off, welcome to TFL.

Second, congrats on the purchase of a fine and unique handgun.

You may find the answer to your question here. If no one gives you the info you want in a day or so, try going down the board a bit to Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research. If you ask there, you will soon have your answer.

Hey!!

I just picked up a Python too:D

Mine is chrome plated and has a 4" bbl. I am impressed how tight it is compared to S & W. Great gun.

I was told by the gunshop resident expert that it was made in the early 80's, but to call Colt to get the year of Manufacture.

congrats:D

Thanks for the replies. 1976? Not bad. I re-posted to Harley Nolden's message board. I should have looked more carefully the first time. The is a great site!

The gold filled lettering is almost certainly a home job.

You can buy gold fill kits and an item called a Lacqur-Stik from Brownell's. The Lacquor-Stik is a stick of matterial that is rubbed into the lettering, allowed to dry, and the excess is removed with a bit of mineral oil on a paper towel. It comes in Red, White, Blue, Black, Silver, and Gold. This is what the military uses on service rifle sight markings.

Back