Info on *&* Model 49?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff, CA
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeff, CA

My local gun shop has a used model 49 "Bodyguard" on consignment. I had kind of resigned myself to a Taurus 850, up 'til now. All the shop guy could tell me is that they were discontinued in '96 (IIRC).

Asking price is $279. There's a bit of play in the direction of cylinder rotation, but it feels like any other revolver I've handled; there is no discernable fore-and-aft play. Double action feels smooth; single action is very light (2 pounds, maybe) with no creep.

Opinions, caveats?

If you don't buy it, I want to know the name of the shop. :)

Depending on the exterior condition, that's a pretty good price for a 49.

Good guns.

Rotational play in the cylinder is absolutely normal.

Jeff,CA: I bought mine in used but mint condition about 10 years ago for 200.00 . The price you quoted would be considered very reasonable now a days in North Dakota as our supply of decent trades on S&W revolvers is at an all time low. Of course we are a bit isolated up here. My home state back East has lower gun prices than we do.

Thats a good price for a nice little gun.
If california is any thing like massachsettes when it come to guns for sale, Our prices are very,very high. Assuming its in good shape, It would be in the $300.00+ price range.

Mike, you're too late. It's been sold.

To me :D

Thanks all for the info.

Jeff,

What's the serial number and I'll let you know when it was made.

And, if it is late enough, it may well be rated for +P ammo.

I was, for some reason, thinking Model 40, The Centennial, which is on what I was basing my earlier pricing comments. Production ended on those in 1974.

Still, that's not a bad price for a 49. I wouldn't mind finding one of these to go along with my Model 042 Centennial Airweight.

I didn't think to get the serial no. when I was doing the paperwork.

I'll know it in 10 days. :mad:

Back