Info on Kimber Compacts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge55

Shot a Kimber Ultra Elite the other day. Was probably the most accurate .45 ACP pistol I've ever shot! Anyway, after hearing so many good things about the Kimbers, I've been kicking around the idea of picking one up for off-duty concealed carry. Anyone here carry any of the compact Kimbers? Any recommendations/suggestions? Anything you can tell me about them, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

------------------
DAH BIG DAWG'S ON DUTY

I have a stainless Kimber Compact. There isn't much not to like about it. It's tightly (but not too tight) fitted, basically dehorned, accurate, reliable with hollowpoints (Federal Hydro-Shoks), and comfortable to shoot. The only thing I do not like about it were the sights. I like the three dot variety. In low light situations, I can not acquire the front sight. In addition, there are a couple of odd quality control issues to watch out for. First, the feed ramp has substantial horizontal gouges on it. It seemed to be a real half-assed polish job. Second, the stainless finish does not seem to be the best. It scuffs and discolors easily. If you choose a Kimber, get rid of the magazine (a seven round Shooting Star) that comes with it and get a few Wilson Rogers mags.

Hope this helps. Happy shooting.

Scott Weaver

Thanks for the input, Scott. I had a sudden windfall, so I bought a stainless compact (pick it up Monday). My previous experience with 1911 pattern guns is limiited, but a guy at the range was kind enough to let me try his Kimber SS compact, and I was hooked. Having read the posts here & elsewhere regarding Kimber QC lately, I looked it over carefully, and it is tight, appears to have good finish and machining on internals, but I won't know about the slide lock-back thing until I start blasting away.

At any rate, I've read the posts regarding mag choices, doesn't seem to be a clear concensus, so I guess I hit the next gun show and start with some GI's (if I can find them) or McCormicks. Who is Kimber's OEM, anyway?

Thanks, more to follow, M2

I have a Kimber Stainless Compact and I love it. After a few initial problems it is reliable and will put 10 rounds into under an inch at 25 yards!

Ben

I picked up an Ultra Elite yesterday and am very pleased with it so far. Recoil is moderate(less than a Glock 27 40 cal). This will be my wife's gun when she gets her carry permit. I was gonna but a Ultra Carry but when I added up mods that I would want done (ambi saftey, night sights, wood grips) the Ultra Elite was only about $100 more, plus you get the meltdown treatment and better finish. This little gun will really shoot. I can't find a thing wrong with it. Let us know if you get one Sarge55. Later, Byerly

Well, I took my new baby to the range today, and let me say that i was impressed! I put 150 rnds of S&B 230 gr hardball, and 20 rnds each of Winchester & Speer 185 gr JHP. I used the McCormick Shooting Star that came with and a pair of Wilson Combats I ordered. No failures to feed, no jams, stovepipes, nothing. I fired several mixed mags just out of curiosity, no muss, no fuss. Never missed a beat, and slide locked back every time. It's also the most accurate .45 I've fired (take that with a grain of salt, but my other .45's are a Cougar and H&K Compact). I was cutting daiseys at 25-30 ft, putting 5/7 inside 5" at 50'. This gun makes me look good. At any rate, so far, so good, but I feel like I'm off to a pretty good start. I like this gun. A lot. Thanks, Aunt Betty!
M2

The September, 1999 issue of Gun Tests reviewed compact 1911 types; the Kimber Ultra-Elite, Cylinder and Slide Adventurer, and Springfield Ultra-Compact.

They loved the Kimber, and strongly recommended buying it. It also held the most rounds (7+1), and functioned flawlessly. I am not a Kimber fan, but this one looks like a great pistol.

Hope this helps, Walt

I picked up the Kimber Custom Stainless Covert. This is my first 1911 type pistol I've owned. I don't have a lot of experience with the 1911's but the 2 times I did get to shoot (Colts and Wilson's)them was enough for me to want to get one.

I took it out this past weekend to my study group and we did a lot of tactical shooting drills and I fell even more in love with this thing. The accuracy impressed me.

I usually train with either a Sig 229 or Glock 23, carrying the Glock 23 almost exclusively, but after the last couple times I've went to the range and this last study group I think my new travel companion is going to be the Kimber.

The first time I took the Covert to the range I did notice there was a little more muzzle flip than I was used to compared to the Glock 23 (.40 S+W)when just target shooting, but this weekend when I was moving and shooting and focusing on the moving targets I didn't even feel any differnce between the Kimber and my Glock.

I like 'em
Ross T.

Greetings, sir. I own only the full-sized Classic Custom, but a good friend has the Ultra. It's flawless in function and quite accurate with the sights being dead on at 25 yards. I think that they are little gems.

Best.

Thanks all for the great info! I'm hoping to have one before the new year. Will let you know what I decide on.

------------------
DAH BIG DAWG'S ON DUTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back