Info On Joseph Golcher, Lockmaker

llsanders

Inactive
I am trying to find any info out there on Joseph Golcher. He was a lockmaker for long guns in the 1800's. Titles of books, or anywhere I can learn his history, would be greatly appreciated.

There seems to be an entire family of Golcher lock and gun makers.

I found this information researched by a James B Whisker:
Golcher family were lock makers from England and finally moved to US, Philadelphia, PA.

Thomas Golcher (Goucher, Gougler). arms contractor. 1774-77, Market St., Philadelphia.
James Golcher (-1805). gunsmith. 2d and Poplar Sts. Came from New York about 1755 and worked until about 1774. Made a gun for George Washington, now in the Valley Forge Museum. Brother of Joseph Golcher. [Gardner, Small Arms Makers, p.75].
Joseph Golcher was a lockmaker who was located in Philadelphia PA circa the mid 19th century. His locks were sold to gunsmiths all over the country, particularly in the East. He made percussion and flint gun locks circa 1825 - 1860.
His brother was James Golcher (II) (1810- ). Proprietor, Eagle Gun Works (q.v.). gun and pistol makers, but primarily gun lock makers. [Dirs., 1841, 1846, 1855; O'Brien's Wholesale Dir., 1849]. The U.S. Census of 1850 showed James Golcher, age 40; Ann, 38, his wife; William, 16; Mary, 12; Ann, 10, all born in England; Thomas, 8; James, 6; Sarah, 2, all born in the United States. This suggests that whatever gunlocks he may have made before 1833 were made in England and production in the U.S. began about that time.
James Golcher III (1846- ). gunlock manufacturer. Son of James Golcher II and brother to Thomas L Golcher and William Golcher. Philadelphia, c. 1880.

Thomas L. Golcher (1842- ). gunsmith. 116 W. Girard St. [Gopsill's Dir., 1886; Polk's Pa. Gazetteer, 1882; Boyd's S.E. Pa. Dir., 1880].

William Golcher (1844-1915). arms manufacturer. Brother of James Golcher III. Before 1890 he was a gunsmith at Girard St. near 4th St. After 1890 he was a superintendent at the Philadelphia Naval Yard

And more can be found here:
http://www.aolrc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/vol-xxvii-no-1-feb-2004.pdf

Ron

Back