Info on four guns, please

Fly320s

Hello,

My future brother-in-law has brought me three shotguns and one pistol to inspect. He would like to know if they are suitable for use and value, if any.

I don't know much about the older guns so I thought I would ask around here.

Here's the info:

1. Ithica Featherlight 20 gauge pump shotgun, serial 6350X-X stamped on the barrel, no serial on receiver, lightly rusted (easily cleaned up), good wood, engraved duck scene on both sides of receiver.

2. Remington pump 20 gauge (it looks like an early model 870), serial U 982XX, rusted with cracking stocks, action release is a button on the right side of the receiver instead of along the trigger guard, the barrel is locked in place with an odd system - it's not a screw on cap like modern shotguns.

3. Savage Arms Springfield Model 944 single shot break action 20 gauge, serial P4517XX, light rust good stocks

4. Colt Woodsman .22LR semi-auto pistol, serial 950XX on front strap, rusty but functional, appears to have original stocks and magazine.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Tony

Last edited:
Fly320s...
While we are waitin to hear from the pros...
I suggest you edit your post and put xx in place of the last two digits on the serial numbers.

Sam...

C.R.Sam,
Why isn't it a good idea to reveal a gun's full serial#? I never have because I've learned it's a no no, but I don't know why.

Thanks,
Randy

I'll give it a try. It sounds like the original owner was either a woman or someone who liked the light recoil of the 20 gauge.

The Ithaca is one version of their only pump gun, the Model 37. It is a good shooter, but in the condition described only worth around $200 or less.

The Remington may be the Model 31, which was discontinued in 1949, or maybe an even older model. Remington usually put the model number on the barrel or the receiver. It would be worth less in the condition described; I don't think replacement stocks are available, but if you can get the model number or give a better description, you might check www.gunpartscorp.com.

The Savage single shot is one of a series of guns of the type made by Savage under the names Savage, Springfield and Stevens. They are fair guns within their limitations and a 20 gauge would be a good beginner's gun for a youngster. Value would be around $100-150.

The Colt Woodsman was made in 1935 in what is called the first series. In top condition, these guns have good value, but in the condition described, it would probably bring only $200 or so at best.

On the serial number question, there are two areas of concern, The first is that federal agents, having nothing else to do, monitor these sites and take down any serial numbers as a form of "backdoor" registration. (Checking dealer's records would seem to be more productive, if that is the goal.)

The other is that someone will see a serial number and run to the police claiming that the gun was his and it was stolen. The cops, of course, taking his word that he ever owned such a gun, and disregarding the owner's evidence that the gun is legally his, will confiscate the gun and give it to the claimant.

Did anyone mention paranoia? Does anyone have evidence that either of these scenarios should be taken seriously? I doubt it.

I rarely give a serial number on the web because it is rarely necessary. When it is, I give the full one and don't worry about federal snoops or phoney claims on my guns.

Or flames from people who are even more paranoid than I am.

Jim

Back