Info on Federal Personal Defence ammo needed

zentao

Information on Federal Personal Defence ammo .38SPL 110 gr, 9mm 135gr, .45ACP 165gr. would be appreciated.
Velocity
Energy
Penetration
Expantion
Also any personal experience.

Thank you in advance

Zentao

I've tested all the loads you've asked about. The .38 Special load didn't expand at all when fired into water filled milk cartons from a 2" S&W model 60.

The 9mm load penetrated just less than 10" of calibrated ordnance gelatin when fired from a Star M43 Firestar. I didn't obtain enough data in denim covered gelatin to produce valid test results. I'll be re-testing the 9mm load soon using a Glock 26.

The .45 ACP load, when fired from a Glock 30, penetrated about 10" in bare ordnance gelatin and penetrated 18+ inches (indicating zero or very little bullet expansion occurred) when fired into denim covered gelatin.

It appears the Personal Defense line of ammunition was designed to be fired from full size handguns. When shot from short barreled handguns, expansion performance is inconsistent/nonexistent, at least with the loads I've tested so far.

I'll be testing the .40 S&W Federal PD HS load in a Glock 27 in the next couple of days.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn Dodson (edited December 14, 1999).]

Back