Info on Detective Special

ABowe

Inactive
Picked up a DS at a show on Saturday. 2" with covered ejector and original wood grips. Looks to be in excellent shape with very little wear except rifling looks worn to me but then I'm no expert. Maybe it's a used piece that has been reblued. My questions are: Does anyone have an idea of its vintage based on the serial number (B504XX)? There was no book. Where can I find instuctions on break-down for cleaning? The seller thought it was early to mid 70s', would that be a third issue? Is there anything else I should know about this gun? Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Al

ABowe, based on your desciption, your Colt Detecive Special would be a third issue variation based on the shrouded ejector rod. I would agree that this Detective Special eas made sometime during the early to mid-1970's.

as2r2.jpg

For assembly & disassembly instructions you can purchase Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part II: Revolvers 2nd Edition, by J.B. Wood. There is a chapter that covers many of the older Colt hand ejector revolvers including the Detective Special. If you can't find it at your local bookstore or gunshop you can oder it directly from the publisher, Krause Publications. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

There is no real break down for cleaning. Just open the cylinder and use tooth brush and bore brushes to clean the bore, chambers, and around the rear of the barrel and cylinder.

For the best instructions on disassembly, get a copy of Jerry Kunhausen's Colt Gunsmithing book. Every Colt revolver owner can learn a LOT from this excellent book.

Back