Info on Antique Pistol, possibly a Colt SAA?

Vanguard41xx

Inactive
Hello guys. I have had this gun in the family my entire life, so I figure it is time to find some info about it. It has been in the family since the late 1800's, along with a Civil War Officer's Sword, a Ladies Pocket Pistol, and others. It would have belonged to my Great or Great-Great Grand Dad, from what the family records say. I'd like to know as MUCH info as possible, such as value, and all the other good facts. I believe it is a SAA, but I'm a knife collector, and not big on firearms, but will hopefully stay in the family for years to come.Thank you. :)

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01269.jpg

The serial number would help in evaluating that gun, but Hawg's figure is in the right ballpark for that condition.

Jim

Colt 1st Model, civilian, smokeless powder frame, pre-WW2, chambered for 45 Colt, nice Colt grips (possibly worth a lot if original gutta percha). Check the ejector rod head: if round (bullseye style) it is an early gun, half-moon shape is later.

If you have the time and desire, get a letter from the Factory Historian that will detail production date, who the gun was shipped to, and work done at the factory after shipment, etc. Values for old Colt single actions is all over the place, $1,500 to $10,000, but the value Hawg Haggen gave may be pretty close.

Please make NO attempt to "clean it up", beyond wiping it down with an oily rag.

To do so would most likely halve it's value, rather than increase it.

Yeah, I had no intentions of doing so. It has been sitting in that gun box since the 70's, where it took in in to school for show and tell.

Back