Info on a J. Stevens shotgun

liberty usa

Inactive
I just inherited a J. Stevens shotgun and know little about it. It's a breech load single shot with *ElectroSteel*ChokeBored* stamped on the top of the barrel. From what I've read they identify them by the letters and numbers stamped by the trigger. This one is stamped EO182 . It is not patented, at least not that we know of. The only other markings on the shotgun is a stamp,
from the manufacturer that says J. Stevens Arms & Tool
Chicopee Falls MASS. U. S. A.
Can anybody please give me some information on the history and value of this shotgun, or direct me to a source that can possibly help?

The company was called "J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co." from 1886 to 1916, so the gun is fairly old. "Electrosteel" was another name for fluid steel; in other words, the barrel is of solid steel rather than the built-up Damascus. That indicates it was made after about 1900.

Value is somewhat problematical. There is little collector interest in those guns, as large quantities were made; they were never the best quality, and value remains low. Stevens always made good, functional guns but they were using guns, subject to all the normal wear and tear of hunting. Normally old shotguns of that type are seen on used gun racks for under $100, even in good shape.

I suggest having the gun checked out by a gunsmith should you want to fire it. If it is sound, and the barrel is solid steel, it should be OK for low power loads. Remember, though, that if anything breaks, finding parts might be a problem.

Jim

Dug up Shot gun in Texas

Dug up shotgun don't know a whole lot about it. J.STEVENS CC. CHISOPEE FALLS MASS. PAT. S*PT *1 1854 is written on the top of the barrel of the gun at the stock. Any info would be greatful

Attachments

• Photo_092507_004.jpg
    Photo_092507_004.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Photo_092507_001.jpg
    Photo_092507_001.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo_092507_003.jpg
    Photo_092507_003.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 57
Back