Info on 686 ammo

eagleye

Purchased a 686 today. What is the best ammo to use in it? Will be used mostly for target shooting, plinking and some carry.

------------------
You can't take it with you.

I plink mostly with 158gr .38 handloads and also use 158gr Blazers in .357. I use 158gr. Speer for defense (140gr Corbon also work with similar POI). The reason for heavier bullet at lower velocity is two-fold: MUCH less loud report and less severe muzzle blast and that is the weight I prefer for my two .38 snubbies. I still have some 110 and 125gr stuff I bought or loads for experiments but I have no use for it anymore. That gun is amazingly accurate!

I also just purchased a 686 and am looking for the best ammo. Can someone tell me the difference between regular .38 sp loads and +P loads? I am told that this gun can fire all three loads in various grains (.38 sp, .38 +P, and .357mag). Any clarification will be appreciated. Also, which ammo is the cleanest in your experience?
thanks,
ted

38+p is a higher pressure and a little more powerful round than the 38 that’s all, But not as powerful as the 357 mag.

I find the 38+p a waste for a target round its more for defense if you had a 38 rated for +p for home defense then use the +p round
if you have a 357 use the magnum round.

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

158 gr. blazers shoot exceptionally well in my 686PP. So well in fact that I haven't even bothered to find a better load.
And I love to reload!!

------------------

I used to have a 686 (I traded it for a P226). American Eagle (Federal) loads worked just fine, and were fairly inexpensive.

Have fun!

Oscar

Back