Info on .44 Special Glaser Safety Slug?

I shot one card (6 rounds) in a lightweight 44 spec

recoil sharp but less than I expected. Much less than the 165 gr cor bon round.

I was thinking of it in a 696 as my wifes night stand gun (that would still be interesting enough for me to "borrow" on occasion).

Any ideas on this set-up as compared to a M-65 with full house 357's recoil and effectivness wise?

Glasers being abnormally light, recoil tends to be moderate despite high "raw energy" levels at the muzzle.

With a short barrel, I'd recommend Glaser's "silver label" in that caliber instead of blue. The silvers have larger lead shot that tends to punch deeper. If I had a 6" barrel .44Spl, I might consider blues instead.

As to comparos with a .357, I'm still of the opinion that a six-shot .357 will be more useful than a five-shot .44Spl. The .44Spl does have some interesting advantages, basically offering less recoil than .357 yet more effectiveness than .38Spl. So if a particular gun is available with the same number of rounds both .357 and .44Spl, I can see merit to the .44Spl version. This is especially true of the Charter Bulldog, being just a hair bigger than a J-frame .357 and not big enough to take six .357s. That gun is a very size-efficient setup because something that small in .357 is gonna be wild with hot .357s...I wouldn't buy the .357 version of that gun that's just started shipping but the .44 looks sweet :).

(Hmmm...I wonder if a slightly oversize cylinder on the SP101 could take .44Spl? That'd be a hell of a gun :). I'd also like to see Charter 2000 do the Bulldog with a 3" tube, and better sights.)

"I'd also like to see Charter 2000 do the Bulldog with a 3" tube, and better sights."

This seems an opportune time to mention the out-of-production Rossi 720 "Covert Special". :cool:

Well worth looking for one...even though they are pretty scarce these days. One of the best things Rossi ever produced: DAO, 3" barrel, smooooooth trigger, stainless and easy to carry.

If adjustable sights are a must, Rossi also made a version with standard hammer and unfluted cylinder...I'll add it to the collection if I ever run across another one.

But if I recall right, that Rossi was built on their version of a K-Frame, and came in 6-shot .357, but in 5-shot .44Spl.

Again, that's the genius of the Charter, it's more or less a J-class.

http://www.gunblast.com did a review of the Charter and it came up great - almost unbelievably so. They seemed pretty sure the gun tested was a random pick but it *could* be a "test queen special". Of of those guys is buying his own at a local dealer, and plans on doing an update to the original article. I'm eagerly awaiting that :).

I just looked at some of the new Charters at the last gunshow here in town. They were the loosest, crappiest looking revolvers that i think that i have every picked up. The worst Rossi that i have ever seen was still tighter than these things. Triggers felt ok, but did not lock into battery very tight at all and had WAY too much endshake.

A VERY small sample (only 3 i think in the whole show) so it is not really fair to say that all of them will be that loose, but based on those three there is no way that i would even consider buying or shooting one.

There are still lots of old Charter Arms guns out there, and i would go with a used Bulldog.

Which Charters were these? The .38s or the .44s or what?

Also, any idea whether or not they were early production Charter 2000, or late? Were they Charter 2000 at all, or were they possibly old-stock Charcos or Charter Arms?

More info please?

Jim,

Well, i have no idea of the production dates, but they were Charter 2000, all the new style .38spl with the bobbed hammer and 'boot grip' style rubber grips. All were silver, so i guess that they were part stainless steel and part alloy. The people that were selling them at the show had nothing on the tags for them but the price so i really cannot tell you much more than what i have. The prices were not bad, $200 if i remember correctly.

I really hope that the first ones i looked at were just bad examples. I have had a couple of old Charters and always found them to be pretty solid little guns.

There is a pawn shop near here that just got several of the .38s and what looked like a .44spl in their case. I will try to get by there this weekend and give them a good once over so i can tell you a bit more about them in general.

I definitely agree w/ Zander, the Rossi .44 spl. was a great gun from a not so great company. I have the standard 720 w/ adj. sights and unfluted cylinder. It is a joy to shoot. It carries nicely once you get used to its weight and solid feel. I use 200 gr. GDHP Blazers and feel very confident with this combo. I am considering trying to P/U a "Covert" also, but they are scarce. I often see standard models reasonably priced at gun shows though.

I am unimpressed with the Charrter 2000 revolvers. If one wants a Charter, you should search out an original Charter Arms version.

Zander, I also envy you in that I would much rather be in Humphreys County there in Middle TN than stuck here in Phoenix where it's still 103 degrees!

Taurus 445

Hi,
I've got an older Taurus 445 in .44 special that I still carry sometimes.I't's small,but heavy enough dampen recoil very nicely.

Back