Info. on '03s and 03A3s

Col. Mosby

I am curious, were 03s used through out WW II by any combat units? Who and where? When did '03A3s come on the scene and how long were they used by combat units before being replaced in WW II by the M-1 Garand? In what theatre of operations would these rifles been used and durring what years?
Also, what is the deal with low serial numberd '03s?
Thanks for any and all help.
Larry

1903 rifles, in addition to the original Springfield and Rock Island guns, were also made by Remington at the beginning of WWII and all saw service in the early days of the war, especially in the Pacific.

The 1903A3 was a wartime expedient gun with production shortcuts (stamped parts, receiver mounted peep sights, 2 groove barrels, etc.) to hasten manufacture and reduce cost. While I'm sure some 03A3's saw service, it seems that most were never issued due to the large number of "mint" guns sold off by DCM in the 50s and 60s. By the time large numbers of 03A3's became available, production of the M1 Garand was in full swing and, consequently, were issued to front line troops. (At least in the U.S. Army.)

"Low number" refers to those 1903 receivers that had questionable heat treating causing them to become brittle. Those made at Springfield Armory are numbered at 800,000 and below, although this is an arbitrary number selected because nobody really knows the exact number when the double heat treating process was initiated.

There is at least one documented receiver failure in a 1903 action at about 805,000 that was proven by metallurgical examination to be "brittle." Rock Island Arsenal kept more precise records and the cut off for RIA 1903's is SN 285506.

The Marines didn't accept the M1 until 1941 and, as far as I know, didn't start replacing their 03s until 1943. I've seen photos of Marines in the Pacific from 1944 still using their 1903s.

According to Canfield's book Illustrated Guide to 03 Springfield Service Rifle (I think that's the title) besides the USMC using 03's in the Pacific initially, the USA issued 03-A3's to troops as late as the Italian campaign. Maybe some were issued as grenade launchers... just something I read once and seem to recall.

Then there were the 03-A4's but that's a bit different topic (sniping and designated marksman) perhaps, but they were used up to the Korean conflict and later, early in the Vietnam war.

Here's a link to some interesting reading on Canfields books and the 03...
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?160153-Canfield-s-03-Book

It seems that Military Police units were using the 03A3 in the ETO
until almost wars end... Freeing up
M1's for "combat" troops.
Stateside the Springfield was used by POW camp guards, guards at defense plants, federal prison guards
Etc

Back