Info Needed

I acquired a Rifle from a friend of mine about 10 years back that I need some info on. The said firearm is a 22/250, floating Bull Barrel beauty built on a Winchester frame in 1969/1970 by Clark Customs for a Police Officer in Mobile, Alabama.

There are many 'Stories' about this weapon & would like to know what the real 'Poop' on it is.

Anyone know who I could contact at Clark to find out the truth? From what I've been told, Clark & the Officer were friends & this was built for him to use with Mobile's Start Up SWAT Squad. I know lots of stories follow firearms thru the years, but this wasn't built for a Weekend Warrior. Had two Gun Shops offer me a lot of money after a few minutes of checking her out. Just wanna know what I've really got. I've tried eMailing Clark, but have gotten no response.

Anyone out there in the know on this or have a good info source at Clark?

The main story is that this Officer & Clark were in the armed forces together & the Officer was a Sniper. Advance forward, this Officer was one of the guys putting together Mobiles new SWAT Team & Clark built this incredible weapon for him, it truly is a work of art.

I have called Clark & left my number, but no one ever called me back. I'm just curious, have no intention of ever selling it. It was a gift from an old friend, and for an old Ham & Egg firearms guy like myself, it's the best Rifle I've ever owned.

The rest of the story is that this Officer won the "Top Cop Shoot-out" in Australia with it. This one I've found to be a bit of a stretch, but it was a long time ago & haven't been able to find anything online. The guy that gave it to me is gone now as is the Officer, just wanna find out some history on her.

Never fired anything like it, sounds like a Canon going off but has little to no recoil. We were shooting targets tacked to some old wood pallets, entrance hole looked like any other 22LR, exit looked like a 50cal...blew huge sections of the pallet out. This may be typical for a 22/250, not sure because this is my first. Amazing weapon!

I'll try Clark again & bombard them with mail...maybe I'll annoy someone enough to finally talk to me. lol!

.22-250 is very loud and high-velocity. Bullets are usually fragile, made for varmints. Speeds over 4,000fps are easy with lighter bullets. High-speed, fragile bullets means little in, big out.

I don't know how much they could or would tell you, but if you know the name of the officer, maybe you can contact the Mobile PD. They might at least tell you if the officer ever worked there.

Jim

The .22-250 is still used by some SWAT teams. About 10 years at a training session, a M.O. showed up with one. We were all amazed at how it performed on auto glass at an angle. It had much less deflection than the .308 Wins and .300 Win mags. That was a shock to all present.

Back