Info needed on the Browning High Power

kubiast

Inactive
I am trying to find out if this is a good pistol. I am thinking about getting one it is a Browning High Power Mark III . It has combat sites. Any info on how this gun performs please.

Can anyone tell me is there a way to check the weapon for marks to verfiy what kind of Browning High Power 9mm it is. The Mag has a mark of "MG-BRHP-9MM" I can not find any other marks on it to tell me what type of a High Power it is.

And what is a fair price for one used with very little wear.

Thanks

[Edited by kubiast on 03-05-2001 at 11:54 PM]

It is an outstanding pistol, accurate and reliable. It is, of course, a single action pistol and must be carried cocked and locked, If this doesn't boter you, you can hardly do better.

Hello. In my opinion, the MkIII version of the HP is the best version to come down the pike. I don't even mind the firing pin safety on this one! I suspect something around $400 is the least you can expect to pay for a very clean, slightly used HP. I've not kept up with prices too closely, but if you want a MkIII, you might want to cough up the money as they're getting harder and harder to find. We all know that more are being imported, but numbers are small.

Best.

The magazine is a Mec-Gar manufactured magazine for the Hi-Power.

In order to learn more about the gun, you'll need the first five digits of the serial number. On the new MkIIIs these are stamped on the front strap of the gun and can be hidden if new grips have been added. Does this have a Hogue-style monogrip that wraps around the front strap? If it does, take it off and look for the serial number there.

You should also see markings on the slide (Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal... Fabrique Nationale etc.) There should also be a tiny ordnance mark on the front right side of the trigger guard as well.

At the very minimum, the barrel should be stamped with the caliber of the gun.

In order to see what version of Hi-Power it is, you can also look at the gun itself. Does it have an ambi-safety? Does it have white-dot sights or just black sights with empty white dot inserts? What kind of grips does it have - plastic moulded, black checkered plastic or checkered walnut? Adjustable sights or fixed? How tall is the front sight blade? Is the finish parkerized or blued?

Click on this link below to see what a MkIII slide looks like internally: http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/HiPo10.JPG

The wide paddle at the back of the slide shows this is a MkIII. A MkII would have a single narrow lever all the way to the back.

I have several Hi-Powers and I am very pleased with them. I highly recommend you try before buying though. What works for me may not work for you. See how you like the feel of the gun in your hand at least.

One problem often encountered with Hi-Powers is a less than satisfying trigger pull at first. There are plenty of ways to fix this problem yourself with minimal effort and if absolutely necessary a good trigger job by a reputable smith is only about $50-80.

"We all know that more are being imported, but numbers are small"

I thought they stopped manufacturing Hi Powers?

Hello. No, it's my understanding that they're still being made, but importation into the US will depend upon how fast and if the HPs sell. Supposedly, they're making them, but only importing into the US when the ones previously imported are sold. Best.

FN is manufacturing them

and will be exporting them to the U.S. If anyone has a date, I'd be interested in an update.

Pilot

Blue Book

Is there a on line Blue Book for Guns? I got this pistol for $300.00 and 3 extra clips it is in very good shape no where on it, is this a good deal? I found out that it is a 1992 HP but still unsure where or not if it is a Mark III or Standard? I have got to the browning web site and looked over the Mark III and Standard and it looks like the Mark III but was it being made in 1992? Any Help

just talkin outta my butt...

but if it is in good condition that is not a bad deal at all. Are the magazines (note: they are called magazines, not clips. Only newsies and actors call them clips) standard capacity (13 rounds) or lowcaps (10)? Factory or after-market?

To give you an idea, factory 13 round mags are going for 40 bucks or more, so thats $120 worth of mags right there.

Mike

Kubiast, unless you have one of the Israeli surplus Hi-Powers floating around, you most likely have a MkIII Hi-Power. A quick way to check is to take the slide off the gun and flip it over and compare it to the photo linked above.

A "Standard" model Hi-Power will have a blued finish and walnut grips. It may also have adjustable sights.

A "MkIII" model Hi-Power has the plastic moulded grips and a parkerized finish.

Also, MkIII is often used to refer to the generation of Hi-Power as well. A MkIII could also be any Hi-Power (MkIII, Practical, Standard, Capitan, etc.) manufactured after 1988 with certain features (the most obvious being the internal firing pin safety). So you can own a MkIII Standard or a plain MkIII.

A Browning HP in good shape with three mags is a hell of a deal for $300. Even if it is an Israeli surplus it is a hell of a deal. The israeli guns are selling for $300 with two mags and they are FN Hi-Powers no matter who previously owned them.

Thanks for the Info

After reviewing the links above, I have found that I do have a Mark III, HP. Born in 1992. Thanks to all for the info you all gave me. If there is any other good sites about this weapon please let me know.

Terrance

The Browning HP is a classic design. I own a 1989 MkIII Standard, and it's the nicest gun in my collection as far as sheer optical appeal goes. They are accurate and reliable, and easy to carry due to the slimness of the HP slide. They will also fit almost all leather made for full-sized 1911s. I paid $370 for my HP in very good shape, and I was quite happy about the deal. Anything under $400 is good, anything closer to or around $300 is fantastic.

I heard from a very reliable and talented gunsmith that the 1988/89/90 were the best built HP's he ever saw. I ended up buying (recently) a new in box 1989 production HP and it is a very well built gun.

Back