Info needed on Springfield Armory scopes

Mesa

Anybody have any firsthand experience with SA scopes? In the past I have been a strict Leupold fan but after doing some research I am leaning towards trying a Springfield. They seem to have more of the features I am looking for at prices comparable (actually cheaper) than the Leupolds. Any advice good or bad is appreciated.

I've used 3 different rifles with S.A. scopes, they have some unique range finding reticle designs, but the optics are only on par with the $299.00 Tasco SS 10X42 on my back-up rifle. I havent used one enough to experience a failure, but they don't seem all that durable to me either. I think they are WAY overpriced.
If you are looking to scope a "tactical" (geez, I hate that word!) rifle then I'd recommend: Leupold, Schmidt & Bender(sp?), Bauch & Lomb or maybe Nikon.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

I've had a 1st gen. SA scope on my Remington PSS for several years now and it's never given me a problem. Of course it's never seen a hard day in it's life! I baby my baby. I like the scope pretty well. It works as advertised. Get one with an adustble objective though. Mine gets a little fuzzy at extreme ranges.

MY 6X40 fixed government model with range finder for .308 is a decent scope. I would like to have more than just 6 power though. It has sufficed for popping squirrels out to 150 yards, but I missed a coyote the other day with it because I didn't have the best rest and 2nd, I could have really benefited from a better zoom. (plus against recommendations, I was using the 168gr HPBT and I actually hit him, but he hobbled away fore I could get him again :( Not my happiest of days.)

I was just going over this with a bunch of regulars, and I think I am going to spend the extra dollars and get a Leupold.

Mesa,

I have the SA First Gen. scope on my "Loaded" M1A and like it. It is very solid (1500 rounds and no failures) and with good optical quality for the money (mine was well under $300 with the SA coupon). As recommended above I would select an adjustable objective model. The first generation model is parallax free at 200 yards, but not at other distances.

I purchased the SA 4-14x40 Tactical based upon the recommendation of Charlie (Four Seasons (fsguns.com)). I wanted the Leupold, which he also sells, but was told that the SA provided the same performance for less money, unless I went with the much more expensive Leupold tactical scopes. I haven't used a top dollar scope, but this one seems quite adequate for target. The bullet drop/rangefinder reticule is straightforward. I understand that it is made by Hakko.
Gary

Back