Info needed on S&W 6906

CX2

I thinking about buying this gun, but I know very little about the S&W line. Any information would be helpful. Quality? Recoil? Reliability? Accuracy? Customer Service? Thanks in advance.

Hi, CX2,

In spite of the preference by a lot of people for more exotic pistols, the S&Ws are pretty darn good. As for the 6906, recoil is moderate, reliability is excellent, and the size makes for a good carry gun.

Basically, it is a matter of preference, but I like to buy American when I can, and the S&Ws are manufactured in one plant, and have a home if something does go wrong.

It is too bad some people go into automatic "reject mode" when S&W or Ruger is mentioned.

Jim

If you have your dealer contact Kieslers police supply, the Louisville PD just traded in around 800 6906 about a year ago. I am sure some of hem are still around. I think LPD had good service from hese guns but they had had them since the 6906 was first introduced and they also wanted to go to a .40. They got the Glock 22.

I've owned one since 1989 and carried one at work and off duty concealed for the past three years. It never gave me any trouble and always shot well.

The S&W 6906 is very reliable. I put about 2,000 rounds through one, mostly cheap FMJ and JHP, it always worked. Be aware that they must be kept clean and well lubed. While disassembly is easy the guide rod takes some practice to seat properly. The first few times I had the thing flying all over the living room. The aluminum frame easily discolors so get a rust inhibitor. All in all they're very solid but I've found very pricey lately, $650 in my area.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I've had an S&W 915 for 5 years without a single misfire; it's a longer version of the 6906, which I've also shot on occasion---the 6906 has somewhat more recoil, of course, but its compact size is appealing. I swear by the S&W 3rd generation pistols---much better than their Sigma line.

The 6906 is a good gun and I would feel comfortable with it if I were made to carry it. (sorry I still prefer my 45 Sig). Buy a New one if you're serious. S&W has confirmed stories of their frame cracking but don't worry about it if you buy new. With the lifetime warranty, they'll replace it free. Their customer service is great.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

See my comments on the 6906 @: [Link to invalid post]

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Thanks for all the great respones! It has helped me make my decision-I'm getting one in a couple weeks. Tecolote what is a rust inhibitor and how do I get one?

I suppose there are specialize products but I used a light coat of high quality grease applied to the frame and slide to add an element of rust resistance. I've been told there are special chemicals made to protect aluminum frames but I never looked into them. After a while if you live in a hot and humid environment you'll find grey blothces on the frame, these are purely cosmetic and don't affect the pistol's function.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I really like the gun. But for my money $600+ dollars for a S&W auto is waaaaayyy too much. For that price you can get a sig,glock,beretta or hk. Which i personally would take over a S&W in any instance.

just my opinion. :)

------------------
TIM : )

Jerky-Why would opt for another? I understand choosing a handgun is a very personal choice-so what would be your reasons.

Myself-I already own two glocks. I have owned several berettas-all were uncomfortable-mistakes to buy them in the first place. No offense to anybody, but I don't like the 1911's operating systems. I think HKs are the uglist pistols made, except for the P7, and I don't want to spend a grand or more. Kahr's are just to small (I feel like my hand engulfs the gun). The S&W will be a graduation gift to myself and looks are a priority.

If you or really anybody else has suggestions, I welcome them.

My 6906 was a police trade in, so it's been around a while. The frames are anodized so they shouldn't oxidize. Mine hasn't, even in the few places where the anodizing has been scratched off.

CX2,

Go ahead and get the 6906. I've owned 4 3rd gen S&W's at various times, run several thousand rounds thru them with NO malfunctions of any kind. They are excellent guns. My only complaint with them is the delrin grips, to slick for me.
If you decide to have a trigger job on your pistol I highly recommend Teddy Jacobson at http://www.actionsbyt.com

Back