Info needed looking at a Colt Officers model

Master Blaster

I am currently looking at a Colt officers model, there are two one in .22lr that looks like it saw very little use. Made in 1939 24xxx according to the Colt Collector site. The .38 dates to 1952 or maybe 1929 525xxx. How is the accuracy and quality of these models?. What would they sell for in VG to excellent condition? I know how to check out a Smith but Colts I am unfamiliar with how to detect wear.

Thanks for your help.

The quality is on par with a S&W. Some people prefer on over the other but personally I like them both. I've got Officers Models from 1912, 1927, and 1955 and target 38 Special S&W's from 1923 and the 1970’s. The triggers are different, the sights are different, etc. The older Colts sometimes won’t typically lock up until the trigger is pulled all the way and the shelf on the hand locks the cylinder in place. On a S&W this would be a problem, but on a Colt it’s normal up until a point. There’s a sticky at the top of the revolver forum that you can check out for all the details on how to inspect a revolver and you can use the search function for Colt specific items located in the PDF.

A Colt from 1952 would look “clunkier” the guns from the 1920’s. The grips, barrel, front sight and rear sight are all beefier looking on the later guns. The earlier guns had smaller sights and grips. Of course people change out sights and grips over the years so that’s not a definitive answer. The latter gun barrel should be more of a bull barrel and say "Officer Model Special" if it's actually 1952 while the earlier gun should say "Officers Model 38". You can use Google images to pull up pictures of those specific guns from each year to help determine which one you're looking at.

The values vary a lot depending on the condition and how motivated the seller is anything from $500 to $1,000 wouldn’t surprise me based upon the limited information given. .22’s are typically more expensive because they are rarer guns. Most guns in very good condition should be in the $500 to $750 range based on my experiences. Anything over $750 and it better be in really good condition. Some sellers are fine sitting on guns for along time and will ask higher prices, some sellers want to get rid of the gun ASAP and you can get a better deal.

Look in the gunsmithing section of the Coltfever site for my instructions on how to check the timing of the older model Colt's....down the page.

http://www.coltfever.com/GUNSMITHING.html

The Officer's Models of the 1920's through the 60's will typically shoot almost as well or as well as a Python, especially if you hand load Mid-Range Target loads with 148 grain wadcutter bullets.
Find a load a specific Officer's Model "likes" and it can turn in astounding accuracy.

Back in the pre-WWII days the Colt's held all the records, and the top shooters almost always used Colt target revolvers.
These were Colt's top of the line premium revolves and quality was the best ever in the 20's up to WWII.

One key is that they need to be in proper working condition and timing.
Fortunately, most owners of the Colt Officer's Models didn't abuse or monkey with an expensive target revolver.

The .22 was made in 1939-1940. This would be an Officer's Model Target Third Issue made from 1927 to 1949.

The .38 was made in 1926-1927. This would be either a Second Issue Officer's Model, or a Third Issue Officer's Model Target depending on the exact year made.
These Officer's Models shared serial numbers with the Army Special.

Back