info for new hunter

jb26

I am from Illinois, so we can't hunt with rifles, but for out of state shooting, I am interested in a centerfire rifle.

So what is the maximum size game can one hunt and to what maximum range with the following cartridges:

.357 Magnum (in a rifle)

Thanks

.357 mag: maybe as large as elk; range: 100-150 yds.
.308 win: maybe as large as elk; range: further than you are likely to make a good shot in the field
.270 win: definatly elk with proper shot placement; range: again, further than you are likely to make a good shot in the field

Well......

...........personally, I would NEVER attempt to take an elk with a .357 (rifle or not).....Elk with .308 is no problem........ .270 only with good shot placement..........you know, IMHO.

The .357 is a very light big game rifle cartridge. Adequate for close range smaller deer (like around here) with good shot placement.

Either the .308 or .270 are perfectly adequate deer cartridges to 400 yards and frankly you run out of field accuracy before you run out of effectivness.

Either should do fine on elk at closer ranges - sub 300 yard stuff.

Shot placement (as usual) rules!

Giz

Scouter, you must be reeeeal good with your 357.
How could you say maybe elk with a 357, and then maybe to a 308? Unless you suck with your 308 and are good with your 357! Otherwise, the 308 seriously outclasses the 357.
BTW, we got our elk last year with a 308, no problem.
Of the three you mentioned, the 308 would be the most versatile.

Back