Info for Glock fans with small hands

vincent

Having small hands can make the Glock line of pistols tough to handle with a proper grip. The trigger reach for me is just too long - requiring a shift of grip which moves the pistol out the bone lines of the arm. Being a 1911 fan I also think the Glocks point high. This being said I like the overall design, reliability, and high capacity of the G17 pistol.

In an effort to better fit a G17 to my hands and to adjust pointing to my 1911 tastes I had a Robar grip reduction performed. This helped the trigger reach some but it removed more at the bottom of the frame than around the area affecting trigger reach. Bottom line: Robar quality is top notch. The pistol looks great and now points like a 1911; however, the trigger reach wasn't improved by that much. If you don't mind the way Glocks point then this modification may not be worth the money.

Recently Lightning Strike redesigned their aluminum trigger and several shooters in my club tried them out. I was able to see first hand that although they may not have been designed with small hands in mind these aftermarket triggers are a small hand Glock shooters wish come true. The new trigger reduces the reach to the trigger face by almost 1/4" and the wider trigger safety helps ensure it gets depressed every time. The trigger does not reduce the pull weight - it simply removes the first bit of take-up that is part of the stock Glock trigger pull. Bottom line: The trigger reach on my G17 is now similar to my 1911 with a short trigger installed. This is with both the Robar reduction and the Lightning strike trigger, but it seems like the trigger is responsible for most of the reduction in reach.

I also installed an "extended mag catch" (which is just a stock large frame catch). The stock catch on my early G17 was almost flush to the frame and required a lot of manipulation to press. The new catch is much easier to engage completely.

Last but not least, the plastic sights were replaced with black on black Heinie Slant Pros. These are excellent and have plenty of air around the front sight for great "both eyes open" sight pictures.

My G17 is now well fitted to my hand size, has a nice trigger reach, and great sights. In my opinion if you have small hands you can improve on Glock Perfection! :)

Back