Inexpensive surplus ammo -- in what calibers and where?

Dogger

For what calibers of ammo can you buy cheap surplus military ammo? And from what sources? I have come across advertisements for .30 carbine, .308, 30-06, and .223, but not for such calibers as .303 British, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x55 Swedish, 7x57mm Mauser...

Thanks!!! :)

Most of the rounds you are asking for are avalible in surplus,

first try AIM surplus at http://www.aimsurplus.com/

As with all surplus be carefull, a great deal of the stuff is Clorate Primed and thus corrosive and must be cleaned with a water based cleaner or WWII GI bore solvent (as an expident Windex can be used followed by normal cleaning) if the gun is a semi-auto I personally on shoot NON-Corrosive ammo just to be on the safe side.

The Sellor and Bellot new production is well made and well priced and reloadable.

.30 carbine stuff will be about the same price as new UMC but at least all the amrican stuff is NON-CORROSIVE

[This message has been edited by Nestor Rivera (edited May 04, 2000).]

I have added below a source of surplus ammo, they seem to offer good prices and you can get onto their email list for Special Offers by visiting their site. That is how I get the Info.

Being based in UK I have not used them, so as previously posted, be careful.

Regards
Tom Charnock
Swindon UK

COPY OF eMail form them,,,

AMMOMAN.COM - http://www.ammoman.com

This is brass cased, 62gr., full metal jacket, steel core 223 from Spain.
We are taking advance orders due to limited quantities, and are shipping
this ammo out on monday.<<this Monday gone>>
$169-1000rds. delivered
$335-2000rds. delivered
That's the total price to your door!
We accept all major credit cards and do not charge any surcharges.
All ammo that we sell is shipped FREE.
We have secure online ordering at our website.
Eric the ammoman (856)778-7702 http://www.ammoman.com

Having seen ample evidence of what corrosive primers did to old, all matching pre WWII Mauser barrels, I would never fire any to this stuff thought any rifle of mine unless I was convinced that the Battle of Amagedon had finally arrived and all the good stuff was already gone.
If you are less than outstanding in your devotion to cleaning even once in your future life, you will damage a bore with this stuff.
Avoid the corrosive primed stuff.

While its true that corrosive primers can lay havoc to a bore in a matter of hours, that is not a reason not to use them if a proper cleaning procedure is followed. If a regime of boiling hot water and tide laundry powder is followed no harm is done. I have a piece of heat restant hose hooked to my hot water tank that fits the chamber of both my 03 Springfield and my M1 Garand perfectly. The trick is to wash them down really well with soap and HOT water, and to have the water hot enough to where it heats the metal so that the instant the water is removed from the metal, the metal is hot enough where the remaining water evaporates instantly. Following that a liberal spraying with aerosol 3 in 1 machine oil (NOT WD-40!!)prevents rust from occuring. I have personally fired thousands of rounds of corrosive primed ammo in the Springfield and hundreds in the Garand with no ill effects whatsoever. For my 31 Navy Colt (replica) Mr. Whirlpool (dishwasher) does a great job. I strip the weapon down place the small parts in a wire basket I made and close it up, I put the larger parts directly in the dishwasher, set the machine to high temperature wash and hope it is finished by the time the wife gets home!! A quick spraying with 3 in 1 followed by reassembly finishes the job. This work is more than required by non-corrosive primers, but after all, a lot of corrosive primed ammo is too good to waste, and the proper cleaning of your favorite rifle is a labor of love anyway. There are thousands of military rifles around that have mostly been fired with corrosive primers and because of proper cleaning are as good as the day the left the factory.

------------------
Carlyle

Back