inexpensive rifles

DeerSlayer86

Thinking of getting a rifle on the economic side of the line. I hear a lot of really good things about the Tikka T3. In that same price range would be Weatherby VS2 and Remington 700 SPS. What are your thoughts?

All of them are good rifles, just choose the one that feels the most natural in your hands. If you find one that is pretty close to feeling like a natural extension of your body then you'll know which rifle to buy. I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever you choose as long as it fits you.

So, about $650'ish is your price point?

I'm not real familiar with the Weatherby, but I had a Tikka T3 in .308. Purely anechdotal, but with handloads or Lapua 167 gr. match, it would shoot .625" 5 shot groups all day long.

I've had plenty of Remingtons, but not that particular model... are you talking about the basic gun, and do you know who makes the stock for that? I'd be kinda concerned there.

Saying that, the New Ruger American is getting rave reviews for a $350-400 real world price. And with 1stmar... yeah, Savage should be on your list.

Not very objective to be honest, but I really liked that Tikka... but then I really like Sakos too.

Cheers,
C

I'll second the Ruger American. I just bought one in .30-06, and I'm very happy with it. I've only put 12 rounds through it so far, and right now its wearing some pretty cheap chinese glass, but my last four shots before it started raining was about an inch and a half @ 100yrds with 150gn core lokt's. I'm sure after I buy it a good scope and try a few different loads, I can tighten the group up even more...maybe. Either way, I'm very happy with it. Did I mention I picked it up for $319.

Rifle?

Get the current edition of SHOOTING TIMES(Sept.'12). It contains one of the most comprehensive reviews I have ever seen; Six brands, three samples each.
Comparisons in accuracy, reliability, and fit and finish.
IMHO, very enlightening.

I'll second what Taylorce1 said, get the one that feels best to you. I've got a Vanguard S2 and my oldest son had a 700 sps. Both shoot sub 1" groups and function fine.

I've got two Savage Edge left-hand bolts on order. $318.00 apiece at my LGS. They should be in late August, early September. Two early-teen grandkids are getting them for Christmas. If Ruger had made a left-hand American, I would have given them serious consideration, but I think that the Edge will suffice as starter rifles.

What do you want to do with it?
Target, hunting, or both?

Target sticks benefit from heavier contour barrels that don't heat up as quickly under a lot of fire and start stringing shots. Hunters usually prefer a lighter contour, shorter barrel that's easier to tote around.

Either will serve both purposes, but best to get what's more suited for your intended use first time around.

I am not a savge hater, just not a huge fan of the models that dont come with both accu trigger and accu stock. So that ones out, because for those features they are around $700, I believe. I have handled the Ruger American and it just feels like a Savage axis. I know those are supposed to be cheap affordable rifles but I dont want a rifle that feels as cheap as it is if that makes any sense. I found some Browning A Bolt hunters for $499, might not be a bad option. So are there any cheap rifles out there (sub $600) that dont feel as cheap as they are? :D

I know that staying a way from the cheap Remington bolt actions, the ones with the gray stocks, is a good idea. I know 2 people had owned one, both had problems with the guns not cycling properly.
For someone on the cheap, an H&R/New England is always an excellent choice. Or if you want a used gun then you get an extremely nice gun in the $400 range if you shop around. a relative of mine recently picked up a newer Savage 110 30-06 with a scope for $150. My nest friend bought a Winchester 1894 for $100 recently too.

Not to steal the thread but I've heard
many comments about new Remmy's,
not to the good.

Twas I, I'd buy a used 20/30yr old rifle,
some great deals out there and quality.

Ditto on Taylor's comment.

I also support the comment about looking for used rifles. I recently picked up an 03 springfield for my son. One of the old timer had sporterized it. The Bishop walnut with its hand checkering and the Winchester premium barrel was superbly accurate. I almost did not give it to my son.

Do not over look the Remington 721/722 or 788. These low cost rifles were superbly accurate and reliable. If you find a Vouree Mauser buy it.

I'd choose the Wby VS2 over the others on looks and perfomance. I've got several of the original Vanguards and the trigger is the only fault I have with them. I used to be a solid Remington man but they've taken some unsavory turns the last few years.

Back