Inexpensive Hunting Rifle...Lee Enfield?

BigMike

Hello,
I am curious as to what members think of Lee Enfield rifles. I had the opportunity to shoot a friends nearly a month ago and enjoyed it. I am contemplating purchasing one, as there seem to be all sorts out there.

I am not up on the No.'s and Mark's and wonder where I can find any information on them. What are the differences, pro's and con. I like the older/military look of the rifle. What accessories are there out there? Does anyone have any experience shooting them? Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

I have a "sporterized" No. I, Mk. III Lee-Enfield, mfd. in 1919. Even with a lightweight synthetic stock, it's still a chore hauling it around the woods...but it is accurate and plenty powerful for just about anything in North America. I paid $125 for it at a gun shop, a good deal considering its overall fine condition and the synthetic stock. Recently I've seen the newer model, the No. 4 Mk. I, at a gun show for $80, in excellent condition. You can get accessories from Cheaper Than Dirt, and hunting ammo is available at Wal-Mart. Surplus military ammo is available from a number of sources, I paid $3/box (20 rounds) last time I bought milspec ammo at a gun show. My opinion--no rifle collection is complete without at least one Lee-Enfield! It's a well-constructed firearm that will last you the rest of your life if you take care of it.

I got interested in them a couple of years ago when college tuition for my kids ate up most of the disposable income and I wanted to try something different for a change. It came down to this: the #4s, Mks 1 and 2, are the newest versions with the best sights. I also picked up the classic WWI version the #1 Mk III. Prices ranged from $59.95 to $89.95. The military stocks on all of them are, for me, terrible in design. I put an Advanced Technologies' 'zytel' (fiberglass?) stock on the #4 Mk1 and bobbed the barrel back to the front sight, leaving it otherwise unaltered. It made a very nice utility rifle and I had about $150 in the whole thing. It shot well with good ammo but case life was very (VERY!) short when full length resizing. The solution was to neck size only (Lee neck sizing dies worked fine) and I am up to 8 reloads on my test batch of cases now. There is a decent selection of bullets for it including a Sierra match 174 gr. bullet which I have not yet tried but will. (There is a site called the '303 Page' which may be worth checking out.) So far I would have to say that the Lee-Enfields are 'different' inasmuch as they represented the British approach to a battle rifle. It used to be said that the Americans had the best target rifle in WWI; the Germans the best hunting rifle; and the Brits the best battle rifle. There is just enough truth to it to make you think about it. If I had to I could get along very nicely with that basic sporter Lee-Enfield for everything. This is a bit lengthy but may help you out...

------------------

Enfields, 03, P14/17. Krags have one advantage over newer sporter rifles: aperture sights as opposed to short-radius v-notch. If you are not using a scope, old milsurp is the way to go...and practice ammo is cheap.

Thanks to all who have replied. I went to the sites that were suggested by fellow members. I think I just may pick one up. I can get them here in Wash. for @ $100(Mk4No1). Mike

Big Mike,
Where I come from, just about everybody's first centerfire rifle is a Lee-Enfield. No matter which model you choose, they are a fine rifle. There is a caution that you should be aware of: excessive head-space. I think it must have something to do with the rear-locking lugs, anyway, important that you first check the head-space. If it is excessive, it's not that big a deal to remedy as the bolt head screws off and can be replaced with a slightly longer one as they are numbered by length. Enjoy!

Back