Inexpensive (but good) .22 rifle

desmond57

Inactive
Yesterday I took my kids to a target range to shoot my .22 Ruger target pistol for the 1st time and was told that New Jersey has approved yet another law barring anyone under 18 from holding a pistol under any circumstances. Including private residencies.

The owner of the Range was very sympathetic and offered me a .22 rifle for the kids to use instead.

The question is: what would be a good Rifle to start my kids on target shooting? Something inexpensive (under $150) but decent. A used one would probable be likely. Any ideas?

Marlin makes a number of excellent bolt action and semi-auto .22RF rifles that are the perfect first gun for kids. Most sell for under $100 and Marlins are noted for their accuracy. Almost all the discount stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc) sell them. Both my sons started with Marlin bolt actions.
For a little more money, the Ruger 10-22 is hard to beat.

If your kids are small, the Chipmunk is great or even the Marlin Buckaroo.

I like the single shots since the kids can't spray and pray (I learned the first time out with a kid never to try to teach them with a semi-auto).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thanks guys:
From what I have seen in the couple of forums I posted the choices seem to be:
1. Marlin
2. Ruger 10-22
3. Rogue Rifle Co. Chipmunk rifle
4. Remington model 597
Now to stop by the local gun shops and see what used models are going for.
The Point about semi-auto's is well taken. But here is Jersey the indoor range is about as far as my son would be going (until I hit the lottery & move that is!LOL).

Arizona sounds wonderful Jeff, but kinda stuck up here in the land of Gun-Phobia for awhile.

Where I live a Place called Turners outdoors man is have a great sale on Ruger 10-22s
They are 144.00 Thats avery good prices.
Check out ther webpage.
Http://www.turners.com

I am buy 2 of them for my kids.
happy hunting

The Marlin 15YN is what my younger son started with. Single shot, youth sized stock and 16" barrel. Little sucker is surprisingly accurate. I'm very tempted to put the action into an adult sized stock.
Frankly, the Chipmonk has never really impressed me. I don't care for it.

Chimpmunk and Cricket designs do not appeal to me because they cannot be uncocked easily or safely by a child. They are also flimsy. Unfortunately, 15Y is much bigger and heavier.

I have seen 9yo have trouble with even single action airweight .22 revolver...yet yesterday a 9yo kid shot my M1 carbine easily. Some kids are stronger than others. Guess I'd just have the kid stick to air guns till old s/he is enough to handle a 15Y or some such. I am in favor of starting them on bolt action rifles (though not necessarily single shots) so that they get used to thourough cleaning and understand the mechanics...much easier than with a sealed semiauto.

I disagree about the Chipmunk being flimsy. The one I have (1984 vintage) is well made and about the only major improvement could be a milled trigger guard (which they subsequently produced) in lieu of the stamped one. As for the Cricket, what's that?

A rifle which may be worth looking at is the Romanian 22 target/sporter rifle. It's being sold to dealers for less than $60 and probably costs less than $100 on the shelf. The stock may need to be trimmed for a youthful shooter though.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I suppose 'flimsy' is in the eyes of the beholder.

I happened into a gun store today that was in my neighborhood (of work), but really tucked away. A real find. Went in looking for a Beeman air rifle, and found a very good FFL.

Anyway, he happened to have a Marlin 15YN and a Chipmunk on the wall. The Chipmunk is much lighter and much smaller than the Marlin. OTOH, if your child is still small, then the Chipmunk might be just the ticket. IMHO, it appears the Marlin would be better suited to 'grow' with most kids. I was really surprised at how tiny the Chipmunk truly is.

The proprietor said he as sold a bunch of the Marlin's to the Boy Scouts in our area (thank God this is Arizona ...), and he strongly recommended the Marlin. Price was similar, with the Marlin in this store at $193, and the Chipmunk at $179.

I will say this - it convinced me to take my little guy in first, and see which one he can comfortably shoulder.

Regards from AZ

My wife is crazy over her Winchester Trapper 9422. I call her "Gator Arms" when she isn't listening because she has kinda short arms., {Hey, I may look stupid, but a beating isn't high on my list of fav things ;) ) They are a bit on the pricey side, but they are built for the long run. You might want to have the kids try them on for size. There seems to be something about the drop of a lever gun that makes them as close to a one size fits all that there is. FWIW, my wife has problems with my Marlin model 60, but the Win is fine.

*That law is about the height of stupidity. But that is another topic for another forum, you should post it in general or legal.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

You might also look into a used Remmington, I picked up a Mod 41 Target Master (made in 1941 duh) single shot for $50 and it is a great gun. Also you might look into the Romanian Mod 1961 mill training rifle (burns bros. $50.00) these are nice in not overly pretty 5 shot bolt actions .22's ready to go with nice sights and ready for scope (dovetail milled into the reciver)

When selecting a rifle for a kid, think about this. That rifle will most likely stay with your kid throughout his entire life. So make sure you buy one that will last alifetime (or two), one that he/she will be proud to consider an heirloom. One that each time they pick it up, look at it, shoot it, hunt with it, or hand it down to their children, they will think of you.

Affordability is an easy equation to solve. But reliability, shootability, accuracy, and maintainability are not easy combinations to obtain in lower priced rifles.

Stick with stainless steel, whatever rifle you choose. You won't have to worry about bluing being scratched off or worn off. And maintenance is a breeze. Also it may be worth your time to consider a rifle that has features that will allow making changes over time (ie, nice iron sights, but has a dovetail or drill/tap for mounting a scope). Or the ability to increase shooting capacity (ie, as in the 25 rd mags for the 10/22).

Stick with a semi-automatic, since these will be easiest to shoot for your little guys, and will certainly be accurate enough for any hunting or plinking that they will ever do.

Paul Revere, you read my mind. I was thinking about this topic and some of the topics that have come up like "The first gun you owned". Which would you rather have your son say 50 years from now, "My dad gave me a beautiful Ruger 10/22 in stainless steel ... or a beautiful Marlin 39AS. I still shoot it and love it." Or would you rather have him say, "My dad gave a cheap ol' Chipmunk/Marlin 60. I haven't shot it in years, I think it's around here somewhere."? Just a thought to ponder.

I saw an ad for a New England Firearms break open single shot 22LR in both youth and adult configurations. That's as PC a gun as you are likely to find. Unfortunately they were not available with iron sights.
I love my stainless Ruger 77/22, but they usually run around $300+.

As for "cheap" guns, you can learn alot about shooting from them. My Marlin Model 60 made clearing a jam/stoppage second nature. It's sort of like learning about cars by always driving clunkers.

Yeah well dad gave ME a marlin model 995 and its not as pretty as a target model 10-22 but it sure can shoot. (dad bought it cause it had an m1 carbine look to it and he thought I'd like it)

and even wth its diminutive 7 shot clip its gone squirrel and rabit huning MANY times and it was so light wieght i never even put sling swivels on it. (I did buy 2 more clips and modify a ww2 compass/first aid pouch to carry 3 loaded mags)

I've shot it some much i loosened the barrel wedge pin and it had to be replaced.

Is it the nicest gun in my safe?? NOPE. It was still my first.. and some day maybe it will be my kid's first.

Then i can buy an "adult' sized 22 rifle.. like a cz 527 in 22 hornet. ;)

Then again dad bought me a 22 ruger mk2 and a remmington pump shotgun too.. so be careful you might end up BUYING MORE GUNS!!!!!

passing on the traditions...

Dr.Rob

well guys thanks for all the recommendations.
I finally decided that the best choice is apparently a Marlin 25N. This was based the following criteria:
1. Inexpensive (can be had new for $130, used for $90-$100 in good condition).
2. looks & feels like a real rifle.Something he is NOT going to grow out of.
3. Bolt action / not semi-auto.
4. able to take a scope without drilling.
5. great reputation. (based on this board).
Thanks again guys, you have been a great help. It's going to be a good Christmas morning this year under the tree! Wait till the ex-wife hears about this one!

Good choice! The Marlins are affordable yet durable and accurate. You can be assured that there will be repair parts available in the future, should you need them.

I always recommend an inexpensive bolt-action when asked about a "first" rifle, with the additional suggestion that the selections be limited to clip (magazine) feed models, forget the tubular magazines for youngsters.

IMHO, semi-autos are not ideal for learning the basics.

Back