Inexpensive .45 for Gunsmithing practice

hickman

I am beginning to do a bit of home gunsmithing, and I want to first focus on 1911 style pistols. I have done a bit of metal and wood working over the years, have had a couple of pistol armorers courses, but I have never had any training in the art of gunsmithing. I have reviewed the Wilson 1911 gusmithing videos, and am ready to try some milling. I am going to look around for an inexpensive 1911 style .45 to "practice" on. Other than looking for a used gun, do any of you have any suggestions for what brands or models would be suitable for this endeavor? Also, any advice on sources to continue my education would be appreciated. Thanks.

About the cheapest 45 auto is the M1927 made in Argentina.

It is an exact copy of the Colt M1911, all the parts interchange, etc.

They can sometimes be had for $300

Anything else is quite a bit higher.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be

I bought a LLama for 266.43 out the door brand new. It is a repo of the 1911.

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!

Hickman, I don't know if they still have them but Gun Parts, www.gunpartscorp.com, was selling unfinished frames for around $30. They would make real good practice platforms for checkering, b'tail safety installation and a lot of other things. Also you can get a frame for around $150 from your local smith/dealer and order a parts kit for about $175 from Sarco, Inc, www.sarcoinc.com, and build one from the ground up. George

I do not have a recommendation for a really cheap 1911 copy to learn on, BUT, if you are interested, I have a Para-Ord P10.45 that I would be willing to sell you. If, and when, you get this POS to work, you will be able to fix ANY 1911!!!!!

Dennie NRA Life Member,GOA

Back