Inertia driven 12-ga suggestions

PatientWolf

I am toying with the idea of picking up an inertia-driven 12-ga.

The primary purpose would be home defense, so I am looking for an 18” to 18-1/2” barrel, preferably with a full length magazine or at least one that has mag extensions available. Interchangeable chokes would also be a desired feature.

I would like to keep cost low, otherwise I’d be looking at a gas-driven FN SLP.

I have a Winchester SXP and am fairly impressed for what I paid for it, so a good Turkish made option might be considered.

What suggestions can forum members offer?

Last edited:
I had one of the Stoeger 3000's for a while and didn't have a single complaint. It is very similar in design to the Benelli M1 or M2. I didn't keep it but about 2 years though. I ran across a very good deal on a used Benelli M1. I had both guns at the same time for a while and while I never had any reason to doubt the Stoeger I found myself always reaching for the Benelli. I had a chance to sell it for more than I paid and let it go. But my brief experience was certainly positive.

And while I also like my Benelli, given the chance to buy both guns new and pay new prices I wouldn't pay double for my Benelli. I only have it because I got it used at a good price.

Well thank you for your well thought out, reasoned and articulated response. Now I can go forward well informed. :rolleyes:

JMR40 - While a Benelli would certainly be a fantastic option, right now I think it is out of my price range-even used if I were ever so lucky as to see one.

how many home invasions do you plan on having that requires an upgrade?
odds are youll never have time to shoulder a gun in a home invasion. so in my opinion, recoil operated guns needing something to push against aren't a good choice.

Last edited:
I didn't see wasting effort when you have already drunk the Kool-Aid. You asked for suggestions, not discourse.

I really did not see a one word response as a suggestion and I think you are well aware of that.

“Don’t”. Don’t what?

Buy a 12-ga?
Buy an inertia driven gun?
Buy a Turkish gun?
Buy an 18” barrel?

If you aren’t going to add value to the discussion, please stop posturing yourself as superior and don’t bother trolling.

BTW, IF you would actually like to provide more information, I would happily read it.

Last edited:
Stuck in the 60s.
Valid point.

Realistically, of course I never expect it to happen. I honestly just prefer a shorter barrel and HD guns are where you find that. I am assuming that with replaceable choke, I would be able to adjust the pattern to other applications.

I’ve never had a semi-automatic shotgun so have no experience with them.

Last edited:
inertia, gas, long recoiling, short recoiling, all use gas to operate them. most are effected by not having something to push against to allow operation.
granted many here will chime in and say technology has come a long way, but 99% of all this advance is to reduce felt recoil when shouldered.
thus the beauty of a pump, sbs, or single shot. to avoid kick all you do is drop it under your arm and light it off. its gonna work no matter what.
you need to ask yourself if youre going to multitask the gun. if you see yourself going out and having some clay fun with it or will lug it thru a swamp hunting....maybe an auto is ok.
but me, I don't like the idea of empty hulls flying all over the house as im firing it. and they all fly far and fast. if you had to hold it around a corner and the ejection port is looking at you, youre gonna eat a hull. not on a pump. its bad enough God forbid you do use it inside.....the black eye, repairs to your home, and clean up isn't going to be pretty.
your life your call.
good luck.

Thank you.

The reason I was considering the inertia driven shotgun what I’ve read (again, I do not have experience with semi-automatics) about it being more reliable than gas-not that I believe gas-fired is unreliable-and that is less expensive than a gas-driven shotgun. This being a first semi auto, I thought it would be better to get experience at a lower price-point.

As far as shooting around a corner, I cannot ever imagine myself not being sure of my target. Damage to the house due to ejected shells? Probably far less than the damage what comes out of the muzzle, so that wouldn’t concern me.

You have given some really good points and maybe I will rethink the semi-automatic vs pump though.

I would never suggest shooting blind. more of a peek a boo, quick look stick it out, bang.
I think you knew that. :>
none the less, good luck and KISS always works best. keep it stupid simple.

I was thinking that, but was having a hard time wrapping my head around how I could be put into a position so far to the side as to be hit by an ejecting shell (unless it was ricocheting off a wall).

Thanks again!

I can tell you why I prefer inertia.

I went into this quite by accident. I bought the Stoeger simply because I liked how the gun felt and handled to me and the price was right. I decided o take a chance without fully understanding the differences. I'd had gas guns in the past, Rem 1100's, 11-87's and a Beretta 390 as well as pump guns and double guns.

It was only AFTER buying and using the Stoeger that I came to appreciate and like the inertia system. Compared to the 11-87 and Benelli I still owned at the time the Stoeger was lighter and more lively in my hands. I quickly improved on my hit percentages compared to all others.

Not long after buying the Stoeger is when Benelli upgraded to the M2 over the M1. I ran across a guy who had a 1 year old M1 that just had to have the new M2. He sold me the M1 at a great price.

For about a year I had the Stoeger, Remington, Benelli, and Beretta shooting them side by side. Within a few months I simply stopped using all of them except the Benelli. I eventually sold all of the others except an 870 pump.

The inertia guns in my experience are as simple and reliable as any pump, but with the ability for faster repeat shots. They do recoil more than a roughly 1/2 lb heavier gas gun. But no more than a comparable pump or double and no one complains about the recoil from them.

They are less dependent on barrel length and ammo power. So far I've never had an issue with any ammo in either the Benelli or Stoeger. The 11-87 in particular was quite picky with lower power ammo. All of the gas guns are set up to run with a particular barrel length. If you want to run a shorter barrel expect issues with lower powered ammo. Not a concern with inertia guns.

If I were big into the clays games I'd probably prefer a gas gun. When you're the type of shooter going through cases of ammo each month the added weight and recoil reduction of recoil from a gas gun would add up over time. But for the volume of shooting I do, particularly since I carry my shotgun up to 10-12 miles in a days walking the woods and fields a lighter, quicker pointing gun is far more valuable to me.

so in my opinion, recoil operated guns needing something to push against aren't a good choice.

I keep reading that, but both my Benelli and the Stoeger will function when fired from the hip. The 11-87 gas gun is the one that would not.

Cool, good explanation, well thought out
Like Stuck, I am a clays guy more than anything else. When I shoot a semi, it is a heavy gas gun running light target loads, as in REALLY light - 3/4oz (28 gauge level)
Personally, though, I prefer my O/U for targets and my SxS for birds.

As far as the type of action, my reason for asking about Inertia over Gas and pump was fairly simple. I was interested in a semi-automatic as I’ve heard they have less recoil. If I ever want to let my 90# daughter shoot it, it would be nice to have a little less recoil. I’ve read gas (yes, again I am going by what I’ve read) recoiled less, but that Inertia was more reliable even with low power loads. As far as pump, I’ve already got a Winchester SXP and a Supernova in 12-ga and a New Haven 600 (Mossberg 500) in 20, so I thought I probably have pumps covered-unless I wanted a 410.

Thanks again for sharing your experience JMR40.

Semi auto may not always recoil less. Try shooting Browning A5.

Inertia action does require something firm behind the butt stock, so shooting from the hip won't cycle the gun. Gas operated action doesn't have that problem.

I have pump(Winchester 1300) as our security gun. If I really have to have an auto for practical applications, I will have Remington 1100. If it is just for fun, I will have Browning A5.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

it would be nice to have a little less recoil.
Inertia guns generally do NOT do well with light target-level loads; between their lighter weight (bad for recoil reduction) and the inertia action (needs more OOMPH to work properly), I would opt for a 20 ga gas gun like a Remington 1100, about as soft shooting as they come.

Back